From: dewar@merv.cs.nyu.edu (Robert Dewar)
Subject: Re: Ada for OS/2 (was Re: Linux faster than OS/2...)
Date: 1997/07/02
Date: 1997-07-02T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Robert said

<<I would not necessily expect OS/2's compiler to have the same effeciency
as Linux's.  Assuming the hardware is identical the other question I have
(not having read the original post) is whether you were running a GUI on
Linux?>>

  We find some things compile faster in OS/2, and others compile faster
  in Linux. Be careful that memory and disk support are similar. One
  factor that hurts OS/2 noticebly is the pathetic limit of 2 megs on
  the HPFS cache size. In some situations, using FAT on OS/2 will speed
  up compilations due to the bigger cache size.

<<This does bring up another question, GNAT provides a free ADA compilier
for OS/2 (among other OSes).   I am given to believe that it was
originally written with gov't funding but currently is only upgraded
because one of the primary programmers likes OS/2.>>

  GNAT is free software in the GNU sense, it is a front end for the
  GCC compiler, which has been adapted to handle Ada 95. The port is
  maintained by Ada Core Technologies, and it is maintained because
  we have commercial customers who provide sufficient support to make
  this continued maintenance supportable for us. It is also true that
  one of the primary programmers likes OS/2 (me!)

<<One way to improve the attention given to the OS/2 port and assure its
continued existance would be for "somebody" to purchase a maintenance
contract with ACT (the company that writes GNAT).  I don't know
the cost but I am fairly certain that this would be rather a bit
much for an individual but if we could pool 20-100 people who are
willing to chip in a not small amount on an ongoing basis
(I am _GUESSING_ at $50/year or so depending on lots of things)...>>

  Well our maintenance contracts are based on the total number of
  programmers using Ada, so this model is not applicable. But in any
  case, fear not! The OS/2 port is fully maintained. You can obtain
  the public version of the compiler from many FTP sites, including
  cs.nyu.edu. If you are interested in commercial support for GNAT
  on OS/2 or any other platform, send email to info@gnat.com for
  an electronic copy of our brochure, or visit www.gnat.com.

  P.S. If you really think $5000/year would support this work, you are
  somewhat off in your calculation. That is about 2-3 weeks of work in
  a year (we are a commercial company, not hobbyists fiddling in our
  spare time). The cost of maintaining the OS/2 port is very much higher
  than that. However, as I say, no need to worry, it looks like, at least
  for now, there is (just) enough commercial interest to keep the OS/2
  port viable (it helps of course that I like OS/2 :-)

Robert Dewar
Ada Core Technologies