From: dewar@merv.cs.nyu.edu (Robert Dewar)
Subject: Re: Placement of pragma Convention
Date: 1997/06/24
Date: 1997-06-24T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Chris said

<<Thank you, Tucker, for your clear and complete explanation.

I see the point; however, the distinction between a declaration
of a subprogram and a subprogram_declaration seems to me a fine
one.

One thing that will help guide your intuition here is to think of a one
pass compiler. There is no requirement that Ada compilers only have one
pass, but the semantics of the language is basically designed as though
they do, with only a few exceptions (this is because that which can be
compiled in one pass can be read by a human in one pass!)

Obviously if you give a convention for a subprogram, you need to know
the convention *before* you compile code for the body, hence the perfectly
reasonable restriction that the pragma must appear before the body.