* Re: More 100% Ada 95 validations from ACT
@ 1997-06-13  0:00 ` Larry Kilgallen
From: Larry Kilgallen @ 1997-06-13  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <dewar.866214008@merv>, dewar@merv.cs.nyu.edu (Robert Dewar) writes:

> The validations are for the following platforms (see the Ada IC listing for
> an exact designation)
>
> Mac using Machten

Rather than have those of us who do not have an FTP or Web connection
jump through hoops to get info from Ada IC, perhaps you could elaborate
on whether the "Mac" port still only targets the "PowerMac".

> Of particular interest are
>
> a) The Mac validation. This is the only validated Ada 95 compiler on the Mac,
> and represents the first time for a long time that the Mac has been a first
> class citizen in the Ada world. GNAT for the Mac is available as part of the
> $99 Code Builder product from Tenon (see www.tenon.com for details).

Larry Kilgallen

* More 100% Ada 95 validations from ACT
@ 1997-06-13  0:00 Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 1997-06-13  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

s I am sure some of you have already noticed from the validated compilers
list at the Ada IC, ACT has completed several more validations (we always
delay announcing these till after the official notices are posted).

The validations are for the following platforms (see the Ada IC listing for
an exact designation)

Mac using Machten
Sparc using SunOS
x86 using Linux
SNI using Sinux
Bare Sparc using GNAT/RTEMS

In accordance with standard ACT validation policy, these are 100% validations,
including the core and all annexes, and passing all tests. The only appeal to
the allowance in the RM for removing tests on the basis of non-support in the
environment is that the Bare Sparc validation omitted IO tests (since there
is no IO on this target).

Of particular interest are

a) The Mac validation. This is the only validated Ada 95 compiler on the Mac,
and represents the first time for a long time that the Mac has been a first
class citizen in the Ada world. GNAT for the Mac is available as part of the
$99 Code Builder product from Tenon (see www.tenon.com for details).

b) SNI/Sinux. This version was created in cooperation with SNI, who jointly
holds the validation certificate. It marks the first time that Sinux, the
largest maufacturer of work stations in Europe, has had a formal product in
the Ada market.

c) x86 using Linux. This for the first time provides an all free software
solution for serious Ada programming, where a validated compiler is required.
We are pleased to note that there has been a significant interest in this
version, not only from unsupported hobbyists, but from supported commercial
customers who recognize the potential value of this system. GNAT in
conjunction with the GNU tool set and the Linux kernel represents a fulfillment
of Richard Stallman's vision of GNU in the Ada world.

d) The Bare SPARC version. This was validated using a simulator that exactly
replicates the functionality of a popular bare Sparc chip that is to be used
in a number of important embedded applications. It represents the first
validation of GNAT using the portable real time kernel technology (RTEMS)
provided by OAR. ACT and OAR are cooperating to provide high quality
embedded solutions that make full use of the GNAT Ada 95 technology.

The official validated versions, together with formal validation materials,
including a copy of the validation certificate, are available for purchase
by fully supported customers. Send email to sales@gnat.com for full details.
The formally validated version will not be available by FTP (since a formal
contractual relationship is required), but a version that is essentially
technically equivalent will be released publicly in the future.

Robert Dewar
Ada Core Technologies

P.S. Watch here (or on the Ada IC list) for more GNAT validation news in
the near future.

* Re: More 100% Ada 95 validations from ACT
@ 1997-06-14  0:00   ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 1997-06-14  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Larry asks

<<Rather than have those of us who do not have an FTP or Web connection
jump through hoops to get info from Ada IC, perhaps you could elaborate
on whether the "Mac" port still only targets the "PowerMac".>>

The validation is only for the PPC. There is an old port for the 68K, but
it is not being maintained at this stage, since no one seems to have any
real interest in it. The supported product, from both Tenon and ACT, is a
PPC only product.

Robert Dewar
Ada Core Technologies

I guess more properly I should say PowerMac rather than PPC in the above
(PPC is the chip, but the machine on which this port runs is the Power
Mac).

* Re: More 100% Ada 95 validations from ACT
@ 1997-06-15  0:00     ` Larry Kilgallen
From: Larry Kilgallen @ 1997-06-15  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <dewar.866334886@merv>, dewar@merv.cs.nyu.edu (Robert Dewar) writes:

> The validation is only for the PPC. There is an old port for the 68K, but
> it is not being maintained at this stage, since no one seems to have any
> real interest in it. The supported product, from both Tenon and ACT, is a
> PPC only product.

That is too bad.  Last summer one or more of the developers (listed in
Tenon's documentation for CodeBuilder) indicated that while 68K
development was not worthwhile it might be that PPC hosts in the future
could generate 68K code.

> I guess more properly I should say PowerMac rather than PPC in the above
> (PPC is the chip, but the machine on which this port runs is the Power
> Mac).

Actually, my use of PowerMac may have been sloppy since only machines
made by Apple qualify for the name "Macintosh" and I believe the name
"PowerMac" (which I introduced to this thread) is a press contraction
never approved by Apple.  If the Ada validation process is anything
like the C2 evaluation process, a particular hardware platform must
have been specified, and while it may have been from Apple, "PowerMac"
was not its official name.  For those who require a validated compiler,
use of an Apple vs non-Apple PPC-based machine running MacOS is mostly
immaterial (in the worst case, require at least one Apple-branded machine
for testing and final build).

But it is certainly within the scope of c.l.a to go into semantic
nit-picking when everybody involved understood what was being said
anyway :-)

Larry Kilgallen

* Re: More 100% Ada 95 validations from ACT
@ 1997-06-15  0:00       ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 1997-06-15  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Larry said

<<Actually, my use of PowerMac may have been sloppy since only machines
made by Apple qualify for the name "Macintosh" and I believe the name
"PowerMac" (which I introduced to this thread) is a press contraction
never approved by Apple.  If the Ada validation process is anything
like the C2 evaluation process, a particular hardware platform must
have been specified, and while it may have been from Apple, "PowerMac"
was not its official name.  For those who require a validated compiler,
use of an Apple vs non-Apple PPC-based machine running MacOS is mostly
immaterial (in the worst case, require at least one Apple-branded machine
for testing and final build).>>

Right, and that is why I did not give exact designations in the announcement,
but instead referred people to the official validated compiler list at the
Ada IC. There you will find the precise formal definition of the targets that
are covered by the validations. At some point we will get derived validation
status as appropriate, which will cover all compatible machines.