* Re: GreenHills Muli - in use?
       [not found]   ` <5nmrlj$1k4@ox.ismi.net>
@ 1997-06-13  0:00     ` Ken Garlington
From: Ken Garlington @ 1997-06-13  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dean Z. Douthat asked:

> Is Gnat certified?  Or don't you need certification?
> <snip>

Yes. See

  http://sw-eng.falls-church.va.us/AdaIC/

for a list of validated compilers.

--
LMTAS - The Fighter Enterprise - "Our Brand Means Quality"
Who uses Ada? See http://www.lmasc.lmco.com/f22

* Re: GreenHills Muli - in use?
@ 1997-06-14  0:00       ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 1997-06-14  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

<<Dean Z. Douthat asked:

> Is Gnat certified?  Or don't you need certification?>>

Just one followup here. The fact that GNAT has been validated does NOT
mean that if you are using GNAT you are using a validated compiler. To
be using a validated compiler in the formal sense of the term, i.e.
meeting the DoD standards for validation as promulgated by the Ada
Validation Office (AVO), you must have a formal relationship with
one of the certificate holders (ACT for any of the GNAT platforms, or
one of our partners where appropriate, Tenon for the MachTen platform,
SGI for the SGI platforms, SNI for the Siemens Nixdorf platforms, or
OAR for the embedded SPARC platform).

A version of GNAT you pick up from the net may or may not be closely
equivalent to the validated version, but it is not officially validated.

* Re: GreenHills Muli - in use?
@ 1997-06-14  0:00       ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 1997-06-14  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

<<Dean Z. Douthat asked:

> Is Gnat certified?  Or don't you need certification?>>

The certification process is called validation, and indeed GNAT is validated,
on seven different hardware/operating system combinations. Furthermore, it is
the only Ada 95 technology that is 100% validated (i.e. it passes all the
tests in both the core language and in all the special needs annexes).