From: dewar@merv.cs.nyu.edu (Robert Dewar)
Subject: Re: Ada95 Pretty-Printers
Date: 1997/06/14
Date: 1997-06-14T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Sam says

<<All this is in accordance with the indentation shown in the ARM, but I
personally just hate it.  I don't think a loop or block should be
indented
just because it's named.  I feel that the "when" clauses are a parallel
part of the structure.  It makes no more sense to indent "when" or
"then"
than it does to indent "else."  Obviously, this is all just personal
opinion.  But I'm glad to see a smart guy and a significant company
agreeing with me :-) .

Only by default, in that the RM has very little to say about indentation,
except at the most gross level. For instance on the subject of indenting
then's that do not fit on one line, the RM is (reasonably) silent.

For recommendations on style at this level, you have to look elsewhere than
the RM.

Personally my only real criterion for style is absolute consistency. I mistrust
people who have strong feelings about one style over another, because it is such
people who end up being recalcitrant when they move into a new environment with
differnt established styles.

The original GNAT style was established by consensus among the original GNAT
group, with simple majority voting where there were disagreements. Every now
and then, someone new starts working with the sources, and rants and raves
because they personally don't like this or that style choice. We never pay
any attention, and in our experience, anyone can get used to anything. I
really think that consistency is the ONLY critical style requirement.