* GNAT exception traceback
@ 1997-06-11  0:00 Steve Gibson
From: Steve Gibson @ 1997-06-11  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have a question regarding exception tracing under the GNAT Ada95
compiler.

Running GNAT 3.05 on DOS 6.x and GNAT 3.07 on Solaris 2.5.1. On both
platforms, when an exception is raised and propagated to the top level
procedure ("main") and not caught, the code generated by the GNAT
compiler, correctly, reports "raised ADA.IO_EXCEPTIONS.DEVICE_ERROR" for
instance.
My question is, without running gdb or adding additional exception
handlers, is it possible to generate traceback information to determine
which line of code in which package generated the exception, and if so
how ?

For example:
    CONSTRAINT_ERROR exception raised in package XXX line i
    CONSTRAINT_ERROR exception propagated out of package YYY line j
    CONSTRAINT_ERROR exception propagated out of package Main line k

Thanks for any help.

--
Steve Gibson
ADI Limited, CCIS Systems Group

* Re: GNAT exception traceback
@ 1997-06-19  0:00 Chris Sparks (Mr. Ada)
From: Chris Sparks (Mr. Ada) @ 1997-06-19  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Rober Dewar says:

> Nope, the DOS version does not provide tracebacks. As I have mentioned
> before, it is possible to always run under GDB, and to do it in a
> pretty transparent manner. What the DOS version provides is some
> scripts to make this process pretty transparent (obviously pretty
> successful, since Chris thinks the DOS version *does* have
> tracebacks), and yes, this approach can be used on any release.

Who would be the contact to get help on this scripting system?  I may
want to perform a similar effort to get Linux to do the same.

Chris Sparks

* Re: GNAT exception traceback
@ 1997-06-16  0:00 Chris Sparks (Mr. Ada)
From: Chris Sparks (Mr. Ada) @ 1997-06-16  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have been seeing a lot of e-mails regarding tracebacks.  Correct me
if I am wrong but doesn't the DOS version of GNAT provide tracebacks?
If so then, how hard would it be to incorporate this software into other
releases?

Later...

Chris Sparks

* Re: GNAT exception traceback
@ 1997-06-13  0:00 Huy Vo
From: Huy Vo @ 1997-06-13  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> You need to run gdb to get the traceback. This is easy to do, so it is
>> not clear why you set the precondition of not using it (your question
>> is
>> a bit like saying: can I use GNAT to compile my Ada program without
>> using gcc -- the answer in both cases is no!)
>
>I think this feature (traceback without gdb) would be very useful. It would
>allow us to have a trace of errors occurring at our customers' sites without
>reproducing the bug in our environment, which is often impossible.

I'd think dumping a core would be nice; at least you can look at the call
stack. But doing it the C way would be sacrilegious, right?

vo@ctron.com

[parent not found: <82@pluto.win-uk.net>]