From: dewar@merv.cs.nyu.edu (Robert Dewar)
Subject: Re: win32ada with Object Ada
Date: 1997/06/09
Date: 1997-06-09T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

pascal asks

<<I have made modifications to the Win32Ada binding for GNAT 3.09 and
GNAT 3.10 (a prerealease not yet publicly released). I could distribute a
patch if you are interested.

The only question is "have I the right to distribute a patch ?" Looking at
the copyright it seem that I can't, what do you think :>>

Just to be clear, you can distribute the patch, you absolutely cannot
distribute the patched version. Any copying of the patched or unpatched
versoins of the Win32 bindings not explicitly permitted by Microsoft is
of course a violation of their copyright. For example, if you download
this binding and do NOT have licensed access to the SDK, you are violating
the copyright. This is true even though there is no technical requirement
for you to need the SDK.

Similarly anyone mirroring an FTP site where these bindings resides is
also violating the Microsoft copyright.

It is these copyright problems incidentally that caused trouble in ARA
endorsing these bindings for general use.