* Not intended for use in medical,
@ 1997-04-23  0:00 Robert C. Leif, Ph.D.
From: Robert C. Leif, Ph.D. @ 1997-04-23  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

To: Tim Behrendsen, Kaz Kylheku et al.
From: Robert C. Leif, Ph.D.
Vice President Ada_Med

The quote," Intel products are not intended for use in medical, life
saving, or life sustaining applications."  as you stated is in Pentium
Processor Specification Update_ from Intel, January 1997.   I called Intel.
The document can be ordered at 800.548.4725.  Intel said that there was no
charge.  The National 32 bit processor had a similar disclaimer.  Do you or
any of the other readers of Comp.Lang.Ada know of other similar
disclaimers?  Many medical instruments use  Intel  486 and Pentium devices.

This quote may provide an excellent opportunity in the medical device
business, which is NOT puny.  My question is, Does validation of an Ada
compiler on a platform provide significant evidence that the processor
produces valid object code?  Would any of the other Ada test suites help?
I deliberately used the word significant rather than sufficient.  If anyone
knows how to prove sufficiency, I would also like a comment.  Any other
suggestions that would permit realistic development of medical devices
would be appreciated.

Microsoft would be well advised to include this type of disclaimer.
Actually, Bill Gates would be best advised to suggest that medical device
manufacturers purchase Ada compilers.  Microsoft is a product liability
lawyer's dream come true, real deep pockets.  Many medical devices are
hosted on Windows and Windows NT Intel computers. Macintoshes are also used.

Although the lawyers are of interest, the response of the FDA will be more
interesting.
You wrote
Date:    Fri, 18 Apr 1997 14:18:41 GMT
From:    Tim Behrendsen <tim@A-SIS.COM>
Subject: Re: Any research putting c above ada?

Kaz Kylheku <kaz@vision.crest.nt.com> wrote in article
<5j5kqf$adm@bcrkh13.bnr.ca>...

> Consider this:
SNIP
>     Intel products are not intended for use in medical, life saving, or
>     life sustaining applications.
>
> This quote is taken from _Pentium Processor Specification Update_ from
Intel,
> January 1997. It is in the very first disclaimer paragraph on the inside
> front  cover.

The reason is probably that the medical market is so puny that they
figured it wasn't worth being dragged into a lawsuit if a medical
manufacturer was sued.  That sounds like lawyer-speak to me.
-----------

* Re: Not intended for use in medical,
@ 1997-04-25  0:00 Robert C. Leif, Ph.D.
From: Robert C. Leif, Ph.D. @ 1997-04-25  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

To: J. Florio et al.
From: Bob Leif, Ph.D.(RCL)

My (RCL) experience has been predominantly with clinical laboratory
instrumentation. A power-out or even an exception that locked up an
instrument in many instruments was not a major hazard.  Bad data or
incorrect assignment of the data to the wrong sample (patient) are major
hazards.  Of course, cessation of operation of a pacemaker or
defibrillators is quite a different story.

(RCL) Design mistakes can happen in any language. However, if a compiler
can "pass" the validation suite, compile itself, and work for several
reasonably large programs, incorrect code generation though a potential
source of hazards becomes a low probability source of hazards.  Ada type
checking will also help.  This is what I meant by significant evidence.

At this point, I start worrying about all of the other items that have a
much higher probability of going wrong. My one theological discovery is
that Murphy, the law giver, is the patron saint of computers including
software.

I (RCL) might also add to the annoyance of many of the readers of
Comp.Lang.Ada, realistically, if the choice is between C++ and Ada for a
medical device, one should not limit Ada to a safe subset.  Compared to
C++, all of Ada is a safe subset.  However, if one has a well trained
software engineering group which uses Ada, then the benefits of a safe
subset should be considered.  Simply put, until the manufactures stop
coding pacemakers and other Class III (highest level of hazard) medical
devices in C++, I will do nothing to dissuade a company from using Ada
except to point out the values of compile-time assignment as opposed to
true run-time dispatching.  There evidently is still a problem testing
run-time dispatching.
--------------------

(J F) If one could provide such evidence (or prove it) it wouldn't solve the
problem.  What you really need to do is warrent that the program does
what it's supposed to (all the compiler does is convert the instructions
from one form to another -- granted that's an opportunity for additional
errors to be injected).  If you write an instruction to add 2 numbers
and you were supposed to subtract them, the compiler won't save you.

(J F) I would guess you see such disclaimers (opinion on) because the
manufacturer doesn't want to warrent that the hardware itself doesn't
have some insidious little problem (remember the big pentium flap when
they first came out?).  There's more than one or two gates on those
little buggers these days!  Life-critical systems need to worry about
uninterruptable power as well as their "correctness".  There are some
problem domains that have made progress in proving the "correctness" of
the application (e.g. communications), but to my knowledge, most complex
systems that are life critical still focus on rigor in the development
process and test, test , test, test (e.g. space shuttle) as well as
approaches such as redundent systems, voting systems, separately
developed systems, etc.  Do a search for "high availability systems" and
you'll probably come up with a few pointers....

(RCL) Unfortunately, I would scare off virtually all of the possible users.
------------------

* Re: Not intended for use in medical,
@ 1997-05-12  0:00 Marin David Condic, 561.796.8997, M/S 731-93
From: Marin David Condic, 561.796.8997, M/S 731-93 @ 1997-05-12  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

"John G. Volan" <johnvolan@SPRINTMAIL.COM> writes:
>Looks like I read too much into that article in Ada Letters.  I got the
>impression that there is still a significant constituency in the real
>time industry with serious reservations about OO-style inheritance.
>Hopefully, it's a dwindling minority. But, to do them justice, we can
>address their concerns thus:
>
>  Patient: "Doc, it hurts when I do this."
>  Doctor:  "Well, then don't do that!"
>
>In other words, tagged types and type derivation are useful tools that
>have their place, but they are not necessarily the right tool for every
>problem, and you are not necessarily forced to use them for everything.
>Make an informed engineering decision, weigh the trade-offs: If the
>overhead and dynamic dispatching and the indeterminacy of abstract types
>are unacceptable to a real-time application, just don't use those
>features.

    I'm almost with you here - except for one possible problem. If a
    given language feature poses too much runtime overhead to be
    useful *and* requires non-trivial space in its support in the
    runtime kernel (or otherwise causes "other" features to compile
    inefficiently because of dependency on the inefficient feature),
    then you've got a case for why it would be "bad" to include it in
    a realtime language.

    Tasking had (and still has, for some) this same problem. If I've
    got a tiny little microcontroller to do some specific job and I've
    maybe only got 64k of memory to work with and no need for anything
    more complex than a cyclic exec, dragging around the tasking
    support could make it difficult or impossible to use Ada. Try
    finding a nice, small SBC to use as a microcontroller that
    actually has Ada targeted to it - if you find one, let me know.
    I'm still shopping for one that doesn't involve me putting
    together a home-brewed, cobbled-up compiler port that may or may
    not work. (Or is really too big for the job and/or comes with it's
    own realtime version of DOS, etc., etc.) Tasking thus shut Ada out
    of a sizeable segment of the market that is now served almost
    exclusively by C or even C subsets.

    Don't get me wrong - I like the fact that tasking is there and
    have used it effectively in realtime systems. But it would be nice
    to see some (dare I say it?) subset of Ada available that was
    targeted to some of these really small machines.

    MDC

Marin David Condic, Senior Computer Engineer    ATT:        561.796.8997
Pratt & Whitney, GESP                           Fax:        561.796.4669
West Palm Beach, FL                             Internet:   CONDICMA@PWFL.COM
    "I saw a bank that said "24 Hour Banking", but I don't have that
    much time."

        --  Steven Wright

* Re: Not intended for use in medical,
@ 1997-05-14  0:00 Marin David Condic, 561.796.8997, M/S 731-93
From: Marin David Condic, 561.796.8997, M/S 731-93 @ 1997-05-14  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Robert Dewar <dewar@MERV.CS.NYU.EDU> writes:
>This seems disconnected from reality. Any reasonable implementation of
>Ada 95 loads in tasking runtime stuff only if you are using tasking, or
>at the very least (e.g. via pragma Restrictions) has a way of getting
>rid of it. For example in *all* GNAT implementations, if you use no
>chapter 9 or annex D features, then you do not get any of the tasking
>runtime, and the overhead that Marin is worrying about simply does not
>exist.

    Please notice that I *was* speaking of tasking in the past tense.
    I know that lots of compilers have become smart enough to find
    things you aren't using and remove them - tasking being one of
    those things that a lot of implementations at least give you some
    link time or system configuration options for getting rid of. But
    yes indeed I have seen and still use implementations of Ada(83)
    where kernel support for tasking comes along for the ride even if
    you don't want it.

    An aside: Are there GNAT ports readily available that are targeted
    to "bare machines?" (And I ask out of ignorance - no slight
    intended.) The one's I've seen on the web all ride on top
    of some operating sysytem. If there are readily available bare
    machine ports, I'm always willing to evaluate them against project
    demands.

>If you want a simple cyclic exec, by all means write one, just as you
>would in C. Then you won't be "dragging around the tasking support".
>This is definitely NOT a reason for not using Ada.

    My point was that for some really small target machines, there
    *are* no Ada implementations. This may be specifically because
    people take a look at the architecture & decide that they
    couldn't easily get tasking into the machine (or other features -
    let's not single out tasking). I've seen microcontrollers which
    have a slick little processor that can do lots of useful stuff and
    for which you get a "tiny C" compiler (no floating point, real
    bare bones, yet useful) and PC programming environment that will
    download to the card via a UART. And I'd have to conclude that at
    least one reason Ada may not be available for it is because there's no
    such thing as "tiny Ada" with no floating point, restricted
    features, etc that make it easy to target (some subset of) Ada to
    some of these smaller machines. (Why do they use C subsets?)

    Let's face it: Ada doesn't get used in many applications simply
    because it isn't there - not because someone has an irrational
    fear of Ada. (Adaphobia?) If I need a cheap, little
    microcontroller in limited quantities for a small job, I'm not
    going to pay someone to make an Ada port for it or try to port it
    myself or spend hugh amounts of time cobbling together a
    programming system from bits & pieces even if a port does exist.
    Not if I can buy a prototype card, a C/C-subset compiler &
    programming environment all in one swell foop and be off
    programming the next day.

>Sure there is still the problem of finding an Ada for a small machine,
>but the idea that tasking makes this harder is a complete red herring.
>Whether or not there is a "nice small SBC to use as a microcontroller
>that actually has Ada targetted to" has to do with whether or not there
>is a commercial demand for such a target. We don't see such a demand,
>at least not at the level to justify the work, so there is no GNAT for
>such a beast.

    I'm not picking on Ada or GNAT or telling anyone how to run their
    business. What I'm saying is that I can pretty easily find
    microcontroller kits that include a nice, small SBC with some
    analog & discrete connectors, a programming environment &
    everything you need for under $200. The only thing is, they
    typically have a C or C subset compiler and I'd prefer Ada (or some
    subset thereof) and as far as I can see, that doesn't exist. The
    kits are selling to *somebody* so there must be a market. If the
    market exists, it's a shame its not also being addressed by Ada.
    If it's not being addressed by Ada, maybe (maybe!) it might have
    something to do with difficulty of porting all the features of Ada
    into such machines. (Why do they provide *subsets* of C?) (Also,
    please read "difficult" to mean "not theoretically impossible -
    just time consuming, costly, inelegant or all of the above.)

><<  Tasking thus shut Ada out
>    of a sizeable segment of the market that is now served almost
>    exclusively by C or even C subsets.
>>>

>This statement is nonsense. In almost all Ada implementations, the main bulk
>of the tasking support is simply a bunch of Ada runtime routines. If you have
>an Ada compiler, then you simply compile these runtime routines, and hook
>them to a small executive. If you don't want tasking, you don't bother
>to do even this. For example, one group is using GNAT on an i960 with
>Vxworks, but they have not bothered to port the tasking, even though it
>would be quite easy to do so, because they do not need it.

    Well, maybe it's nonsense. Maybe I don't know what I'm talking
    about. Maybe I'm an idiot. Maybe a lot of things. But it sure
    seems that *something* is keeping Ada out of playing in the
    inexpensive, small microcontroller field. My experiences with most
    of the embedded Ada compilers I've played around with seems to be
    that they only target machines above a certain size and that you
    can't find a nice controller kit like some of the things I've seen
    at Z-World (http://www.zworld.com/) and others that come with an
    Ada programming environment. (Or for which yuou can get one.)

    Either folks have determined that it's not an easy, cheap port of
    a compiler to such an environment or the market has been conceded
    to C/C-subsets or nobody has thought to produce their own little
    microcontroller card with an Ada programming environment targeted
    to it as a means of selling compilers. (And selling controller
    hardware as well - which is going to be more lucrative than Ada
    compilers & will subsidize the compiler development part of the
    business.)

    As I said earlier, I think the problem with tasking was a _past
    tense_ thing, but it may still be an issue with some compilers.
    Depending on how the compiler is structured it may be difficult or
    impossible to squeeze the tasking, etc. into the limited space &
    processor throughput available on some of the smaller machines.
    And certainly because earlier on (past tense, again) Ada with
    tasking etc. was hard to fit into smaller boxes and C was easier
    to get in there, C won out & established itself as the dominant
    player. (Is it just because the market is conceded that Ada
    doesn't play there?)

    I like Ada and prefer to use Ada wherever possible. But sometimes
    it's just not there and I get to wondering if possibly Ada, in an
    attempt to cover all possible bases, tends to forget that there's
    us real-time, embedded guys out there who were the original
    customers. Maybe we'd settle for a quickly implemented,
    inexpensive, efficient, widely available *subset* of the language
    for some of these smaller jobs rather than have nothing at all.
    When someone starts proposing "Gee, it would be cool to have
    feature X in Ada..." I've got to reply with "If it keeps me from
    getting a compiler because it is too big, too slow, too difficult
    to implement on my machines, too....whatever, then I'd rather do
    without." An *available* compiler is infinitely superior to the
    full featured compiler that never makes it off the drawing
    board.

@ 1997-05-14  0:00 tmoran
From: tmoran @ 1997-05-14  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

>Whether or not there is ... has to do with whether or not there
>is a commercial demand for such a target.
  Recall that "demand" is not a scalar, but a function.  The level
of demand depends on what is available at what price.

> <<  Tasking thus shut Ada out
>     of a sizeable segment of the market that is now served almost
>     exclusively by C or even C subsets.
> >>

> This statement is nonsense.
 It may be true or it may be false, but it certainly is not non-sensical.

From: Marin David Condic, 561.796.8997, M/S 731-93 @ 1997-05-14  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jeff Carter <carter@SPAM.INNOCON.COM> writes:
>This is true. However, having worked on a US$billion project on which
>the only tools were an Ada compiler (this was before 1995, so it was an
>Ada-83 compiler in today's parlance), UNIX, and vi (that's right, not
>even a source-level debugger), I view all claims that "this problem is
>solved by better tools" with a jaundiced eye.

    Yeah Verrily! And AMEN!

    Lots of folks have never been stuck in the position of trying to
    develop tomorrow's technology with yesterday's tools and think
    it's easy to get the company to shell out bucks for better stuff.
    (*Especially* true in the Defense Industry! This is because
    programmer time is chargeable to the contract, but computers,
    xerox machines, rubber bands and paper clips come out of capital
    appropriations. So if you wait in line for an hour to use a xerox
    machine, that's O.K. 'cause it's someone elses money. Buying a
    second xerox machine is *company* money!)

@ 1997-05-19  0:00 Robert C. Leif, Ph.D.
From: Robert C. Leif, Ph.D. @ 1997-05-19  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

From: Bob Leif, Ph.D.
To Comp.Lang.Ada

I believe that I started "Not intended for use in medical,". Lately,
although many of the comments under this heading are useful and
informative, they are not specific to medical devices. If a party
interested in medical devices employ a web search engine or similar tool,
he or she would be directed to many irrelevant postings. I would appreciate
it, if postings that include the word medical or term medical device be
relevant to the subject. Again, I wish to emphasize that this is not to be
construed as any criticism of the material posted.