From: dewar@merv.cs.nyu.edu (Robert Dewar)
Subject: Re: STUDENTS GO AWAY!!!!!!!??????
Date: 1997/04/26
Date: 1997-04-26T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

<<This is by far the most illogical thing I've ever heard. If every
  person on earth screamed at the top of their lungs we'd probably
  destroy the Earth too.>>

A good analogy, if I meet someone screaming at the top of their lungs
I will ask them to stop!

<<This may come as a surprise, Robert, but www.adahome.com isn't exactly
  the best known WWW site. They sort of have to be TOLD about it.
  On top of this, many student have put in their work, thay have
  text books, albeit useless ones, but they have looked in many
  cases>>

Actually it is easy to find this site using any of the standard
search engines (give it a try and you will see what I mean). Besides
which all students (including mrbunny) immediately get informed about
adahome as soon as they post here (by me if no one else -- I always
send this information out to anyone whom it seems it will help!)

<<And this is reason enough to disallow students with legitimate
  questions, what if they had felt that way about you? I'm sure
  you've asked a question inappropriately in your life.>>

Not at all, I absolutely encourage students with legitimate questions,
and no one is talking about disallowing anything -- this is a newsgroup.
I certaily have not proposed making CLA moderated -- I think that would
be a big mistake, since there is no enough consensus about what should
be here -- so talk of disallowing anyone or anything is arguing against
a strawman!

<<I'm sure you've asked a question inappropriately in your life.>>

ABsolutely, and when I do, I expect someone to tell me, and I
concentrate on understanding why it is inappropriate, and trying
to avoid asking inappropriate questions in the future.

<<I must say I am shocked. It was my understanding that you were a
  well thought of and highly intelligent person, Mr. Dewar.>>

Hmmm! interesting that what started out as not an entirely unreasonable
post has to deteriorate into insults -- well one of the primary rules
of the internet is not to let such attempts bother one :-)