From: dewar@merv.cs.nyu.edu (Robert Dewar)
Subject: Re: [Q] GNAT Success stories?
Date: 1997/04/25
Date: 1997-04-25T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

>PS> I have an unsuccess story. I have developed an Ada-library for
>PS> education purposes under Meridian with nested generics,
>PS> heterogenous lists, etc.  In trying to compile it under GNAT I
>PS> received a lot of different kind of "internal errors", messages
>PS> from assembler and similar phenomena.

If you are getting messages from the assembler, then this almost
certainly means that your installation is incorrect. Most often this is
the result of not following the installation instructions, including those
in the readme file, very carefully. For example, if you have the wrong paths
set up and pick up the wrong assembler, this could certainly result in the
kind of thing you are seeing.

In general if you install GNAT and get a situation where "nothing works",
then it is almost certain that you have misinstalled. GNAT installation
needs to be done carefully following all the instructions.

You may find it useful to join the chat mailing list (send mail to
chat-request@gnat.com) for informal installation help.

If you are pretty sure your installation is correct, e.g. all the example
programs run fine, and you get an error of the kind you describe, and you
are using the most recent version of GNAT, you should send an error report
to report@gnat.com, following the suggested format in gnatinfo.txt.

P.S. I am not quite sure what heterogenous lists might mean, but if you
really mean lists with different types of data on them, then that can
only be achieved in Ada 83 using implementation dependent tricks, which
may or may not be portable. Of course this would not account for the kind
of behavior you are seeing!