From: dewar@merv.cs.nyu.edu (Robert Dewar)
Subject: Re: [Q] GNAT Success stories?
Date: 1997/04/25
Date: 1997-04-25T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Bob Duff said

<<Hmm.  Seems like "blame the victim" to me.  Here's a guy who claims some
software is buggy.  And you don't believe him, because he doesn't know
how to configure his newsreader.  Well, I don't know how to configure my
newsreader, either (I just hope my internet provider does), but I feel
quite competent to point out bugs in GNAT, when they exist.>>

What Sam was trying to say was that we often find people using extremely
old versions of GNAT (someone recently submitted a bug with a version
that was over two years old), and it is important that such people should
know that there have been some improvements since. It is also the case
that some people, not that many, but some, simply don't follow the]
installation instructions, and what appears to them to be bugs are in
fact just the result of incorrect installation.

I would certainly hope that the Aonix compiler should be super easy to
install and use (I don't know myself because I don't run windows!) since
that was the whole point of the large investment the government made in
the educational compiler. That is not particularly a design point of
GNAT -- certainly we cannot invest millions of dollars in the effort,
nevertheless we try to improve installation ease as we go along.

One thing to say again here is that chat@gnat.com is a good place to get
informal installation assistance. Subscribe by sending mail to
chat-request@gnat.com.