From: dewar@merv.cs.nyu.edu (Robert Dewar)
Subject: Re: Ada UK web pages
Date: 1997/04/23
Date: 1997-04-23T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Brian said

<<HTML 3.2 reference document as released on the 14 Jan 97 may be found
at http://www.w3.org/pub/WWW/TR/REC-html32.html .  This is not ISO or
BSI but it is produced by the standards group of the Web.>>

OK, fine, that's what I thought (that there is no standard in the legal
sense for the Web, this is just an "industry" standard). The distinction
is a significant one, especially since the original message was trying
to draw a connection between the Ada "standard" and the Web "standard",
but in fact they are standardized in quite a different meaning of the
word -- and what is important is that Ada has a legal standard. I am
not saying that industry "standards" are not important, they are often
quite important, just that we have two very different meanings of the
word, which should not be confused.