* Re: Any freeware Ada Compilers Available ?
       [not found] <01bc4c9a$9f1d3fa0$e14698c2@ofxenabw>
@ 1997-04-19  0:00 ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 1997-04-19  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Andy Stables says

<<Does anyone know where I can obtain any freeware Ada95 compilers that are
hosted and target for a Pentium PC ?

I would appreciate simple instructions on how to download and install it as
well, if anyone does know of any.

n.b. I have had a look at the GNAT site but I can't figure out which GNAT
compiler I would need to download for use on a Pentium PC, there seem to be
a bewildering array of variants listed there !

Gracious thanks, in advance.>>

Well this is partly because there is a bewildering array of operating systems
for the PC, and you gave no idea of what one you are running. There are
versions of GNAT for the following PC operating systems:

NetBSD
FreeBSD
Linux
OS/2
NT
Solaris/x86
Win/95
DOS
Win 3.1
Nextstep
SCO Unix

some of these are not fully up to date. The fully supported ones are
for NT/Win95, DOS/Win3.1, OS/2, Linux and Solaris/x86.

These compilers are not freeware, but they are free software, i.e. they
can be freely redistributed and come with sources. You can obtain them
at no charge by downloading from cs.nyu.edu (you need to know what machine
and what operating system you are using!) or inexpensively on CD ROM (notably
the one from Walnut Creek), or they can be obtained with commercial support
from Ada Core Technologies (info from info@gnat.com).

* Re: Any freeware Ada Compilers Available ?
@ 1997-04-24  0:00   ` Adam Torzecki
From: Adam Torzecki @ 1997-04-24  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Andy Stables :

>> Does anyone know where I can obtain any freeware Ada95 compilers that
>> are hosted and target for a Pentium PC ?

Robert Dewar:

> You can obtain them at no charge by downloading from cs.nyu.edu (you need
> to know what machine and what operating system you are using!) or
> inexpensively on CD ROM (notably the one from Walnut Creek)

You can also try these mirror sites:

US sites:
ftp://ftp.cdrom.com/pub/languages/ada/compiler/gnat/distrib
ftp://wuarchive.wustl.edu/languages/ada/compiler/gnat/distrib

European sites:
ftp://ftp.cs.kuleuven.ac.be/pub/Ada-Belgium/mirrors/gnu-ada
ftp://ftp.dit.upm.es/mirror/cs.nyu.edu/pub/gnat
ftp://ftp.cs.tu-berlin.de/pub/gnu/gnat
ftp://ftp.cci.de/pub/Ada/gnat
ftp://ftp.informatik.rwth-aachen.de/pub/mirror/cs.nyu.edu/pub/gnat
ftp://ftp.ibp.fr/pub/gnat
ftp://ftp.cnam.fr/pub/Ada/PAL/compiler/gnat/distrib
ftp://ftp.eunet.no/pub/gnu/gnat
ftp://ftp.fsz.bme.hu/pub/ada/gnat
ftp://snowwhite.it.brighton.ac.uk/gnat

Australia site:
ftp://csc.canberra.edu.au/pub/ise/gnat

I think that it would be much easier (faster) for You to get files  from
european (UK) sites.

					Good Luck

    Adam Torzecki
    Between 1.04.97 and 31.08.97 a guest in
    Departamento de Informatica - Universidade Nova de Lisboa

         email: torzecki@di.fct.unl.pt
                  or  adam@di.fct.unl.pt

* Re: Any freeware Ada Compilers Available ?
@ 1997-04-25  0:00     ` William Frye
From: William Frye @ 1997-04-25  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Adam Torzecki (torzecki@di.fct.unl.pt) wrote:
: Andy Stables :

: >> Does anyone know where I can obtain any freeware Ada95 compilers that
: >> are hosted and target for a Pentium PC ?

: Robert Dewar:

[...]

I've had more luck getting downloads from the Ada-Belgium site
: 					Good Luck

: **************************************************************************
:     Adam Torzecki
:     Between 1.04.97 and 31.08.97 a guest in
:     Departamento de Informatica - Universidade Nova de Lisboa
:
:
:          email: torzecki@di.fct.unl.pt
:                   or  adam@di.fct.unl.pt

: **************************************************************************

* Re: Any freeware Ada Compilers Available ?
@ 1997-04-26  0:00       ` Andrew Dunstan
From: Andrew Dunstan @ 1997-04-26  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

William Frye (wfrye@mnsinc.com) wrote:
: Adam Torzecki (torzecki@di.fct.unl.pt) wrote:
: : Australia site:
: : ftp://csc.canberra.edu.au/pub/ise/gnat

this is not correct any more, and has not been for some time (GNAT ppl
please take note for your web page).

the correct address is:

  ftp://ftp.canberra.edu.au/pub/ise/gnat

cheers

andrew

  There's nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so - Hamlet
  http://www.gr-lakes.com/~andrew (including PGP key)
  PGP Key fingerprint = 5C 44 7D E4 76 A3 31 DE  3D 11 FA 15 4D 87 1F 5E

@ 1997-04-27  0:00 ` Michael Dimmick
From: Michael Dimmick @ 1997-04-27  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <01bc4c9a$9f1d3fa0$e14698c2@ofxenabw>,
	"Andy Stables" <andy@andrestasoft.karoo.co.uk> writes:
>Does anyone know where I can obtain any freeware Ada95 compilers that are
>hosted and target for a Pentium PC ?
>
>I would appreciate simple instructions on how to download and install it as
>well, if anyone does know of any.
>
>n.b. I have had a look at the GNAT site but I can't figure out which GNAT
>compiler I would need to download for use on a Pentium PC, there seem to be
>a bewildering array of variants listed there !
>
>Gracious thanks, in advance.

Given that you appear to be using MS Internet News, I'd say you were
running Windows 95 or NT, in which case you want v3.09 for WinNT.
IIRC, you want to grab the file windows95-readme, which will tell you
where it is: in the winnt directory, where you'll want (currently) the
gnat-3.09-nt.exe file.

If you want an IDE for Win95 GNAT, look at John English's page at the
University of Brighton: http://www.comp.it.bton.ac.uk/je/, which seems
to be OK.

--
Michael Dimmick | dimmicmj@aston.ac.uk | http://www.aston.ac.uk/~dimmicmj