From: dewar@merv.cs.nyu.edu (Robert Dewar)
Subject: Re: Any freeware Ada Compilers Available ?
Date: 1997/04/19
Date: 1997-04-19T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Andy Stables says

<<Does anyone know where I can obtain any freeware Ada95 compilers that are
hosted and target for a Pentium PC ?

I would appreciate simple instructions on how to download and install it as
well, if anyone does know of any.

n.b. I have had a look at the GNAT site but I can't figure out which GNAT
compiler I would need to download for use on a Pentium PC, there seem to be
a bewildering array of variants listed there !

Gracious thanks, in advance.>>

Well this is partly because there is a bewildering array of operating systems
for the PC, and you gave no idea of what one you are running. There are
versions of GNAT for the following PC operating systems:

NetBSD
FreeBSD
Linux
OS/2
NT
Solaris/x86
Win/95
DOS
Win 3.1
Nextstep
SCO Unix

some of these are not fully up to date. The fully supported ones are
for NT/Win95, DOS/Win3.1, OS/2, Linux and Solaris/x86.

These compilers are not freeware, but they are free software, i.e. they
can be freely redistributed and come with sources. You can obtain them
at no charge by downloading from cs.nyu.edu (you need to know what machine
and what operating system you are using!) or inexpensively on CD ROM (notably
the one from Walnut Creek), or they can be obtained with commercial support
from Ada Core Technologies (info from info@gnat.com).