From: dewar@merv.cs.nyu.edu (Robert Dewar)
Subject: Re: Lint-like program for C++ ...
Date: 1997/04/18
Date: 1997-04-18T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Steve Dimig wrote:

> Hi -,
>
> Does anyone know of a Lint like program for C++.  I was recently
> involved in debugging a memory corruption problem.  After a week of
> inspection and recompilations, we found the problem was in overwriting
> the bounds of an array.  This type of problem would have been caught
> with lint if our development language was C.  Our language, however, is
> C++.

and Oliver Boehn replied

> I don't know if Lint can find the overwriting the bounds of an array
> because the array is often indexed by a variable.
> Tools which may help you:

The trouble with both the post and the answer is that they are fiercely
cross-posted to:

  comp.lang.fortran
  comp.lang.ada
  comp.lang.c
  comp.lang.c++
  comp.lang.cobol
  comp.lang.pascal.misc
  comp.lang.prolog
  comp.lang.basc.visual.misc
  de.comp.lang.c

and thus went to a lot of irrelevant groups. I note that this is the same
list that has been used for the irrelevant thread on Microsoft and Windows.

This kind of careless and thoughtless crossposting does a lot of damage
to the groups both directly (junk messages) and indirectly (more good
people get fed up and stop participating).

A good idea is for everyone to try to be more aware of cross-posting. If
you must follow up one of these messages, please be careful to trim off
the irrelevant newsgroups. Personally, I never reply to messages that are
inappropriately cross-posted except to note the inappropriate
cross-posting to the original author. If more people took care to do
this, then it would become counter productive to spam multiple-groups
in hopes of coaxing an answer from someone in an irrelevant group.

Of course in this particular case, maybe what the author wanted was piles
of advocacy messages for other languages?? :-)