* Re: Ada -- a popular language?
@ 1997-04-16  0:00 Adrian B.Y. Hoe
From: Adrian B.Y. Hoe @ 1997-04-16  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 11 Apr 1997 23:06:11 -0500, "Automatic digest processor"
 <LISTSERV@LISTSERV.NODAK.EDU> wrote:

> [...]
>
> Date:    Fri, 11 Apr 1997 01:47:43 -0700
> From:    Dave Wood <dpw@AONIX.COM>
> Subject: Re: Ada -- a popular language?
>
> Centaury wrote:
> >
> > It seems that Ada is losing out to modern languages like C++.
>
> It seems that as Ada 95 post-dated C++ and Ada 83 post-dated C,
> Ada is the more modern language.
>
> > I don't seem
> > to find any wide usage of Ada programming language in the region of South
> > East Asia (South East Asians, verify this!).
>
> As someone else pointed out, we know at least that Lexical Integration
> is using ObjectAda in Malaysia!  Ada is also used in Japan, Singapore,
> India, Australia, etc.
>
> > And there are no major software companies developing Ada (like C++, Pascal,
> > Cobol, developed by Microsoft, Borland and several other big players).
>
> I didn't know Microsoft made Pascal and COBOL compilers.  Is that
> true?
>
> Companies like Aonix and Rational like to think of themselves as
> major (some even make the front page of the Wall Street Journal when
> their stock value tanks...), but if you're going to be serious
> about this point you certainly can't use Borland in the same
> breath as Microsoft, which probably has a longer balance sheet than
> Malaysia.  Borland isn't much bigger these days than those rogue Ada
> companies, and is shrinking at an alarming rate while giving a textbook
> example of how to sell compilers for the "most popular" languages (C,
> C++, and Java) on the most popular platform (Windows) and still lose
> money hand-over-fist.  They lost $65,000,000 in the last nine months
> of 1996 alone!
>
> Besides, it isn't the size that matters, it's the quality of your
> assets.
> At least that's what my wife keeps assuring me.
>
> > Also, what does Ada have that other programming languages don't have? and
> > what do other programming languages have that Ada doesn't have?
>
> I'm sure somebody will point you to Home of the Brave Ada Programmers
> for this kind of material.
>
> > If Ada is so powerful and versatile, why isn't everybody opting to use it,
> > instead of the much complicated (but much preferred) C language?
>
> You should be glad that not everyone is using Ada.  Using it gives you
> a tangible advantage over your less perceptive peers.  :-)
>
> But, Ada is used more than you might think.  While C is used on vastly
> more projects, Ada tends to be used on large, complex, mission-critical,
> and safety-critical projects.  You're less likely to find it unless
> you're looking in the right places, although products such as ObjectAda,
> GNAT, RR, etc., are now resulting in considerably more widespread use of
> Ada in academia and among smaller projects and hobbyists.
>
> Sit back and watch C/C++ hit the brick wall of Java over the next couple
> of years.  The stability of Ada can be a blessing.
>
> -- Dave Wood
> -- Product Manager, ObjectAda for Windows

Obviously, Centaury did not know that somebody are using Ada in Malaysia.
And obviously, many Malaysian do not know that. Many software developers
would not care about Ada simply they want cheap compilers and get their
products developed and deployed into the market at no time at all.
Maximizing profits and minimizing development time and overhead is a norm.

Lexical Integration (M) Sdn Bhd is Aonix distributor and business partner
in Malaysia. Check it out in <www.aonix.com/Sales/icon.html>

esp Motives, a new subsidiary of Lexical Integration, will be entirely
focusing in Ada development projects. Concept explorations have been done
in ObjectAda. esp Motives is creating a need of Ada engineers in Malaysia.
Check it out in <www.acm.org/sigada/jobs/jobs.html> Thanks to Sherri Braxton
for listing our job posting in ACM SigAda.

May I suggest Centaury to contact me at byHoe@quantum.pc.my for more
information?

--

B.Y.

Adrian, B.Y. Hoe   VP, Business Development   Email : byHoe@quantum.pc.my

                                     \/       Lexical Integration (M) Sdn Bhd
                                   \/  \/     13-B Jln Pandan Indah 4/2
                                 \/  \/  \/   Pandan Indah
                                   \/  \/     55100 Kuala Lumpur
                                     \/       Malaysia

                                              Tel   : +60 3 495 4048
                                              Fax   : +60 3 495 4037
                                              Email : system@quantum.pc.my

From: Adrian B.Y. Hoe @ 1997-04-16  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 11 Apr 1997 23:06:11 -0500, "Automatic digest processor"
 <LISTSERV@LISTSERV.NODAK.EDU> wrote:

> ------------------------------
>
> Date:    Fri, 11 Apr 1997 00:44:23 -0700
> From:    Dave Wood <dpw@AONIX.COM>
> Subject: Re: OpenGL for ObjectAda
>
> Adrian B.Y. Hoe wrote:
> >
> > Hello:
> >
> > I have OA 7.0 for Windows, Prof edition with OpenPack and
> > I understand that opengl32.lib is supplied and can be found in
> >
> >         \ObjectAda\APILIB\
> >
> > Unfortunately, I can't find any documentation or sample codes
> > with it.
> >
> > Can anybody help?
>
> You will find the OpenGL binding in the win32ada bindings
> folder in the files gl*.*.
>
> There are a number of books on the market describing
> OpenGL in the context of Win32.  You might investigate one
> of them for guidance.
>
> You will find this and many other useful bits of information
> discussed in the ObjectAda for Windows FAQ.  At present, this
> document is available from our customer support, or I can
> email it to you as a Word attachment if you send me an email
> request.
>
> The FAQ is currently being updated for the pending 7.1 release.
> Once it has been updated, it will be placed on the 7.1 CD as
> well as on the Aonix web site.
>
> -- Dave Wood
> -- Product Manager, ObjectAda for Windows
> -- Aonix - "Ada with an Attitude"

Dave:

Thanks! We have struggle through the OpenGL and thanks to Ed Fallis and
Pascal Obry too for the OpenGL samples and also their replies regarding
the discrepancies of OpenGL library in OA 7.0

Here, we await 7.1

Regards.

--

B.Y.