From: dewar@merv.cs.nyu.edu (Robert Dewar)
Subject: Re: Help with fixed types...insufficient model numbers?
Date: 1997/04/02
Date: 1997-04-02T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

John said

<,First, verify that your compiler really allows you to specify a
type'SMALL that is not a power of two -- some (i.e. mine) will not.>>

I am surprised that there are compilers that are that limited for fixed
point, but in any case no "verification" is required. It is true that
a compiler may reject small's that are not powers of 2, but it is
MANDATORY that they do this at compile time, treating the offending
declarations as illegal. A compiler that silently ignord small
specifications would be non-conforming (and I would consider that
a pretty serious bug!)