From: dewar@merv.cs.nyu.edu (Robert Dewar)
Subject: Re: Objects in Fortran 2000
Date: 1997/03/22
Date: 1997-03-22T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Bob Duff said

<<Could you be more specific?  I don't know Fortran 90.  Are you talking
about parallel "for all" sorts of loops?  Anyway, if you have multiple
parallel threads of control raising exceptions, you can wait until they
are all synchronized in some way, and then raise a single exception --
for example, the way Ada deals with exceptions during task activation by
raising Program_Error.  (For normal exceptions raised by tasks, not
during activation, Ada says the exception is ignored.  I think that's a
bad thing.)  In Ada, if an exception is raised during a rendezvous, both
tasks get the exception.>.

Fortran 90 has a SIMD model for fine grained parallelism, so the idea
of waiting or multiple threads is off base. Really the problem is mor
related to the issue of exceptions and optimization in Ada (so 11.6
is the place to look for ideas).