From: dewar@merv.cs.nyu.edu (Robert Dewar)
Subject: Re: Simple ADA/C Question
Date: 1997/03/09
Date: 1997-03-09T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Larry said

<<I would hope Aonix would look to supporting additional platforms in
future years, and there is always the possibility that on one of them
a dominent C compiler could have a different integer size than was
appropriate for ObjectAda>>

Well it's always possible, and is equally possible in the case of GNAT.
Looking at all current platforms, I don't see any where this possibility
is likely to arise (as you know GNAT is on 30-40 platforms now, so we have
looked at this issue on a pretty wide range of platforms).

We have found one platform, VMS, on which are standard decision to make
the Long_Integer type in Ada match long in C, is not appropriate. On VMS
type long in C is 32-bits, but we have two conflicting rquirements here,
one to be compatible with C in the normal GNAT style, and the other to
be compatible with DEC Ada 83. In DEC Ada 83, type Long_Integer is
64-bits, and we decided that this compatibility consideration wins out,
so Long_Integer /= long in the VMS version of GNAT.

However int is still the same as Integer, and I am still willing to bet
that it is very unlikely that any compiler will make any other choice
in the forseeable future. Too much user code depends on this identify
(and just in case you feel like blaming GNAT, the code I am talking
about is millions of lines of legacy Ada 83 code, written long before
GNAT existed!)