* 3 mill messages/s over UDP sockets?
@ 1997-03-07  0:00 Arne Riiber
From: Arne Riiber @ 1997-03-07  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Using the gnat-3.07 Ada compiler (w/pthreads1.60b4) and Linux 2.0
on a 133Mhz Pentium, two ada tasks could send/receive about 120
100-byte messages over UDP sockets in 0.04 milliseconds. This gives
about 3 million messages per second.

It was not possible to send/receive more than about 200 messages,
even if the socket send buffer size was set to 50K with setsockopt().

Anyone that can explain the results (is it related to Pthreads or Gnat?)
And better, what is needed to set up the socket buffer so the buffer
size is 50K (as on non-threaded socket calls), so more messages
can be sent?

-Arne-

Arne Riiber             http://home.sn.no/~riiber
System Teknologi AS     http://www.systek.no

* Re: 3 mill messages/s over UDP sockets?
@ 1997-03-07  0:00 ` Bart Smaalders
From: Bart Smaalders @ 1997-03-07  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

That's 300 million bytes/sec.  Better tell the Gb ethernet folks
they've been scooped.  And advise them as to what the inter-packet
delay is supposed to be... clearly the standard value is too
conservative ;-).

I'd check to make sure you didn't just fill a 120 deep DMA operation
request buffer - or some even simpler error path was taken.

- Bart

Arne Riiber wrote:

> Using the gnat-3.07 Ada compiler (w/pthreads1.60b4) and Linux 2.0
> on a 133Mhz Pentium, two ada tasks could send/receive about 120
> 100-byte messages over UDP sockets in 0.04 milliseconds. This gives
> about 3 million messages per second.
>
> It was not possible to send/receive more than about 200 messages,
> even if the socket send buffer size was set to 50K with setsockopt().
>
> Anyone that can explain the results (is it related to Pthreads or Gnat?)
> And better, what is needed to set up the socket buffer so the buffer
> size is 50K (as on non-threaded socket calls), so more messages
> can be sent?
>
> -Arne-
>
> --
> Arne Riiber             http://home.sn.no/~riiber
> System Teknologi AS     http://www.systek.no

Bart Smaalders			Solaris Clustering	SunSoft
barts@cyber.eng.sun.com		(415) 786-5335		MS UMPK17-301
http://playground.sun.com/~barts			2550 Garcia Ave
							Mt View, CA 94043-1100

* Re: 3 mill messages/s over UDP sockets?
@ 1997-03-07  0:00   ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 1997-03-07  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Arne Riiber wrote:

> Using the gnat-3.07 Ada compiler (w/pthreads1.60b4) and Linux 2.0
> on a 133Mhz Pentium, two ada tasks could send/receive about 120
> 100-byte messages over UDP sockets in 0.04 milliseconds. This gives
> about 3 million messages per second.

Something is very wrong here!
Just do the arithmetic.
You obviously did not observe what you