* Re: GNAT for openVMS?
       [not found] <01bc142c$7a8cdde0$223f13cc@pc-ratel.ireq.ca>
@ 1997-02-20  0:00 ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 1997-02-20  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Gilles asks

<<Do you know if GNAT (Ada 95) pre-compiled version exist for openVMS>>

First, a general note, questions like this are best addressed to
sales@gnat.com, where we know not only all the GNAT versions that
exist now, but also all the ones that might exist in the future!

With respect to openVMS, Digital has chosen ACT to supply a version of
GNAT for OpenVMS, and ACT is carrying that port out under contract to
Digital. In accordance with the general shift to acquisition of third
party software, this will remain an ACT supported product, rather than
an official Digital product, but it will be subject to standard Digital
qualification procedures including:

   a) Digital Field Testing (now in progress)
   b) 100% passage of the DEC Ada test suite

In addition this version of GNAT will be highly compatible with the
DEC Ada 83 product including

   a) DEC Ada 83 additions to package System
   b) Data formats and layouts
   c) DEC Ada 83 pragmas and attributes (including AST_Entry)
   d) DEC Ada 83 library packages (including Starlet)

The current status is that the compiler is in good shape, and is very close
to 100% full ACVC compliance, as well as executing a lot of user code
correctly (one of our field test sites has already reported in that they
have compiled all their code and run it without difficulties). There is more
work to be done on tools and packaging, and an official release of the
validated product will probably occur at the end of the second quarter.

However, we can provide and support versions of the compiler in its current
state at the current time, with the understanding of updating to the official
released version as soon as it is available. Send email to sales@gnat.com
for further details, or to info@gnat.com for a copy of our electronic
brochure (which does not yet mention this version, since it is new)

Robert Dewar
President
Ada Core Technologies

* Re: GNAT for openVMS?
@ 1997-02-24  0:00   ` Ken Garlington
From: Ken Garlington @ 1997-02-24  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Robert Dewar wrote:

> With respect to openVMS, Digital has chosen ACT to supply a version of
> GNAT for OpenVMS, and ACT is carrying that port out under contract to
> Digital.

Please, *please* identify the supported host platforms when discussing
this port! Unless something is changed, OpenVMS refers to
implementations
on _both_ VAX and Alpha architectures, but this port is only for Alpha!

--
LMTAS - The Fighter Enterprise - "Our Brand Means Quality"
For job listings, other info: http://www.lmtas.com or

* Re: GNAT for openVMS?
@ 1997-02-24  0:00     ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 1997-02-24  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ken Garlington said

<<Please, *please* identify the supported host platforms when discussing
this port! Unless something is changed, OpenVMS refers to
implementations
on _both_ VAX and Alpha architectures, but this port is only for Alpha!>>

That is correct, the currently available port is only for OpenVMS on AXP
platforms. So far no one has been interested in funding a Vax port, though
it is certainly technically feasible, and we are gathering information on
anyone who might be interested in commercial support for a Vax port if
one existed. So if you are interested in commercial support for a Vax port
of GNAT (which like the AXP port would be highly DEC Ada compatible), please
send email to sales@gnat.com and let us know.

Robert Dewar
Ada Core Technologies