From: dewar@merv.cs.nyu.edu (Robert Dewar)
Subject: Re: fixed point types over an interface
Date: 1997/02/18
Date: 1997-02-18T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Jacob says

<<| For composite types, the Write or Read attribute for each component is
| called in a canonical order ... Read and Write should use the smallest
| number of stream elements needed to represent all values in the base
| range of the scalar type.

Is there anything that prevents the "stream elements" to fill 32 bits?

If I read 13.13.1 in the LRM correctly, then there's absolutely nothing that
prevents type Stream_Element from being declared as "mod 32".>>

Right, that would be perfectly valid, but in any case, the part of yoru
quote after the ... is only implementation advice, and this means that
it should be followed unless there is good reason not to follow it, and
in any case whether you follow it or not has nothing to do with
conformance.