* DEC Ada Tasks and multiporcessors
@ 1997-02-11  0:00 Mats Weber
       [not found] ` <dewar.855676306@merv>
From: Mats Weber @ 1997-02-11  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

The current DEC Ada on AXP does not support multiprocessors; that is,
tasks in the same program cannot execute on multiple processors.

Will this be possible in a (near) future release of DEC Ada ?

I know GNAT is getting ported to VMS/AXP and will support
multiprocessors. When will this port become available ?

Is GNAT going to be DEC's standard Ada 95 compiler for VMS/AXP ?

* Re: DEC Ada Tasks and multiporcessors
       [not found] ` <dewar.855676306@merv>
@ 1997-02-11  0:00 ` Larry Kilgallen
From: Larry Kilgallen @ 1997-02-11  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <33005327.4E54@elca-matrix.ch>, Mats Weber <Mats.Weber@elca-matrix.ch> writes:
> The current DEC Ada on AXP does not support multiprocessors; that is,
> tasks in the same program cannot execute on multiple processors.
>
> Will this be possible in a (near) future release of DEC Ada ?

Despite the fact that DEC Ada on VAX uses a private tasking engine:

DEC Ada on Alpha VMS uses the common DECthreads engine also used by
the C-oriented pthreads and the (language-neutral-except-for-Ada ?)
DECthreads interface.  That engine was upgraded for VMS V7 to use
kernel threads but only fully enabled with a VMS patch kit for V7.0
or without any patch kit in V7.1.

At least that was DEC's announced plan.

So at what operating system version are you unable to used multiple
processors from a single Ada program ?  Has DEC departed from their
stated intentions which I listed above ?

(I don't have a multiprocessor system to test these assertions.)

Larry Kilgallen

From: Larry Kilgallen @ 1997-02-11  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <dewar.855676306@merv>, dewar@merv.cs.nyu.edu (Robert Dewar) writes:

> We can provide beta test versions of the VMS/AXP compiler to customers
> right now. The compiler is in excellent shape and will be validated
> shortly. The debugging support is not yet complete.

Will it interface to the regular VMS debugger or will one have
to use the GNAT-specific debugger?

Larry Kilgallen

* Re: DEC Ada Tasks and multiporcessors
@ 1997-02-12  0:00     ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 1997-02-12  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Larry asked

<<Will it interface to the regular VMS debugger or will one have
to use the GNAT-specific debugger?>>

Digital decided that they preferred to have GDB be the primary debugger.
This is because they do not want to make the necessary changes to the
regular VMS debugger to fully support Ada 95. However, we chose to use
compatible debugging formats, so in fact the VMS debugger works pretty
well (it just does not understand as much as it should about GNAT),
while GDB will be tailored much more completely for GNAT and Ada 95.

Robert Dewar
Ada Core Technologies

* re: DEC Ada Tasks and multiporcessors
@ 1997-02-17  0:00 Charlie McCutcheon