* Is Ada obsolete?
@ 1997-01-30  0:00 Peter Williams
From: Peter Williams @ 1997-01-30  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter.Williams

The following (largely unsubstantiated) statement appears in the
magazine NAVAL FORCES 5/96 in an article "Active Development in Phased
Array Radars" by Stuart L. Slade

"ADA (sic)  is best suited to relatively small, highly centralized
computer systems.  Active array radars are at completely the opposite
end of the spectrum, very large and highly decentralized integrated
networks.  Possibly, the time has come to recognize the fact that
decentralization and fully distributed systems have made ADA (sic) as
obsolete as the thermionic valve."

Interestingly no alternative is suggested.  Is this view refutable?

Dr Peter Williams          -- Maritime Operations Division, AMRL, DSTO
E-mail: Peter.Williams@dsto.defence.gov.au         Ph: +61 2 9692 1456

* Re: Is Ada obsolete?
@ 1997-01-30  0:00 ` Steve Jones - JON
From: Steve Jones - JON @ 1997-01-30  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Peter Williams <Peter.Williams@dsto.defence.gov.au> writes:

> The following (largely unsubstantiated) statement appears in the
> magazine NAVAL FORCES 5/96 in an article "Active Development in Phased
> Array Radars" by Stuart L. Slade
>
> "ADA (sic)  is best suited to relatively small, highly centralized
> computer systems.  Active array radars are at completely the opposite
> end of the spectrum, very large and highly decentralized integrated
> networks.  Possibly, the time has come to recognize the fact that
> decentralization and fully distributed systems have made ADA (sic) as
> obsolete as the thermionic valve."
>
> Interestingly no alternative is suggested.  Is this view refutable?

Certainly, the most upto date Phase (and Multiple) Array Radars are I think
made by Siemens Plessey Defense Systems, and they write the code in Ada.

Also the 200+ seat NERC project is written in Ada.

Etc etc etc.

What Ada is good at is large decentralised systems like this as they involve
reuse of common components.

--
Un Lupe en France  | Cat 1, Cha, Cha, Cha -- NERC offical drinking song
----The above of opinions rarely reflect my own and never my employers------

* Re: Is Ada obsolete?
@ 1997-02-09  0:00 ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 1997-02-09  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Peter Williams quotes and asks

<<"ADA (sic)  is best suited to relatively small, highly centralized
computer systems.  Active array radars are at completely the opposite
end of the spectrum, very large and highly decentralized integrated
networks.  Possibly, the time has come to recognize the fact that
decentralization and fully distributed systems have made ADA (sic) as
obsolete as the thermionic valve."

Interestingly no alternative is suggested.  Is this view refutable?>>

Well seeing as Ada 95 is the *only* language that directly supports
"decentralization" and "fully distributed systems", this is a pretty
absurd comment!