* MachTen Lite -- where is it?
@ 1997-01-06  0:00 William  C Brennan
From: William  C Brennan @ 1997-01-06  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

So it's January already and I'm still waiting for a MachTen which will
run GNAT on my Mac for less than $200.  Any news for those of us who have
been waiting anxiously for lo these many months?

And the GNAT-Mac server (http://gnat-mac.com/macada/) has been down for weeks.
What's up?

--bill

* Re: MachTen Lite -- where is it?
@ 1997-01-07  0:00 ` Larry Kilgallen
From: Larry Kilgallen @ 1997-01-07  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

 In article <brennanw-0601972303230001@indian-10.vf.pond.com>, brennanw@pond.com (William  C Brennan) writes:
> So it's January already and I'm still waiting for a MachTen which will
> run GNAT on my Mac for less than $200.  Any news for those of us who have
> been waiting anxiously for lo these many months?

There were flyers with a $99 introductory offer in the ACT booth
at TRI-Ada in Philadelphia. I forget the official product name.

Press announcements regarding the MacWorld Exposition which starts today
in San Francisco indicate the Tenon package will be "announced" there,
although that could mean just the same flyers in Developer Central
(the place to go at MacWorld for such things) that were in Philadelphia.

I sent in the $99 but have not received it yet.  In the meantime
I discovered I also have a need for the full Power MachTen, so
I ordered that from Apple last week.

Larry Kilgallen

* Re: MachTen Lite -- where is it?
@ 1997-01-07  0:00 ` Robert Dewar
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Robert Dewar @ 1997-01-07  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

William asks

"So it's January already and I'm still waiting for a MachTen which will
run GNAT on my Mac for less than $200.  Any news for those of us who have
been waiting anxiously for lo these many months?"

At Tri-Ada, Tenon announced the availability of a CD for $99 that includes
GNAT and the essential parts of Machten to run it, together with documentation
examples, installation scripts etc.

* Re: MachTen Lite -- where is it?
@ 1997-01-07  0:00 ` Jim Hopper
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Jim Hopper @ 1997-01-07  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <brennanw-0601972303230001@indian-10.vf.pond.com>
brennanw@pond.com (William  C Brennan) writes:

> So it's January already and I'm still waiting for a MachTen which will
> run GNAT on my Mac for less than $200.  Any news for those of us who have
> been waiting anxiously for lo these many months?
>
> And the GNAT-Mac server (http://gnat-mac.com/macada/) has been down for weeks.
> What's up?

Codebuilder 1.0 is available at macworld today.  they have cd's in hand
and selling on the show floor for $99.  they are selling on the show
minus hard copy docs, which are not due till next week when they will
start shipping them.

full gnat 3.07, unix and mac standalone tasking, builds standalone
double clickable mac apps with ada tasking.  Mike feldman did a nice
demo (with some mac help from john matthews and i) of this which opens
a mac window and runs three tasks doing three different sort algorithms
shown graphically.

its a LOT faster with the native filesystem (4-10 times faster).  lots
of improvements.

as to the web site, I hope to announce a new web page real soon now.  i
will try to get a 4.03 updater out the door to 3.07 this week for those
of you who have the full system already. it will be available on the
nyu site rather than the old site.

one thing to note, machten is the same version of bsd unix and mac as
next uses and apple has endorsed machten as a platform to port to the
new mac OS.  In addition to Ada95 they have c, c++, objective c,
fortran, and java on the cd.  they are the first mac development system
to support objective c which the nextstep system uses (as well as c++).
 they have GNUstep partially running on the cd, and an update soon will
provide full GNUStep software (gnu version of next openstep development
environment).  I mention all this for those of you who thought we were
crazy to go with machten.  It looks like we gazed into our crystal ball
and built a gnat that already will run on the future macOS ;-)

jim

* Re: MachTen Lite -- where is it?
@ 1997-01-07  0:00   ` Michael Feldman
From: Michael Feldman @ 1997-01-07  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <1997Jan7.064501.1@eisner>,
Larry Kilgallen <kilgallen@eisner.decus.org> wrote:

>Press announcements regarding the MacWorld Exposition which starts today
>in San Francisco indicate the Tenon package will be "announced" there,
>although that could mean just the same flyers in Developer Central
>(the place to go at MacWorld for such things) that were in Philadelphia.

I believe Tenon is actually selling CDs at MacWorld. I know they were
in production.

>I sent in the $99 but have not received it yet.  In the meantime
>I discovered I also have a need for the full Power MachTen, so
>I ordered that from Apple last week.
                     ^^^^^ Tenon?

>Larry Kilgallen

I'd suggest you send e-mail to info@tenon.com. As far as I know, they're
shipping. The product is called MachTen Code Builder. I've been running
the beta CD quite heavily, and it's a nice piece of work. You get a
quite nice Unix, plus a number of GNU compilers, including C, C++,
Objective C, Fortran, and (of course) GNAT 3.07. The Ada example folder
has some pretty decent code samples we wrote to demo how Ada 95 can
live in peace and harmony with the Mac toolbox, including some stuff
that combines Ada tasking and Mac event handling. It works, and ended
up a pretty decent program (I wrote it.:-)).

Anyone who's been following the Apple world knows they just bought
Next. Real Soon Now the Next software will be ported over to the Mac;
Tenon actually has built a fair amount of the GNU "clone" already,
and (I think) is demo-ing it at MacWorld. They may even have slipped
it onto the CD; I'm not sure.

So it turns out that while Metrowerks is promising a compiler
RSN that will do Next-ish things, CodeBuilder is there already.

Someone ought to do some GNAT bindings to the Next-ish API.:-)

Mike Feldman

* Re: MachTen Lite -- where is it?
@ 1997-01-08  0:00   ` Larry Kilgallen
From: Larry Kilgallen @ 1997-01-08  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <5b0dsk$kdo@mailsrv2.erno.de>, Thomas.Kendelbacher@erno.de (Thomas Kendelbacher) writes:
> In article <brennanw-0601972303230001@indian-10.vf.pond.com>, brennanw@pond.com (William  C Brennan) writes:
>>So it's January already and I'm still waiting for a MachTen which will
>>run GNAT on my Mac for less than $200.  Any news for those of us who have
>>been waiting anxiously for lo these many months?
>
> Look on http://www.tenon.com/products/codebuilder. I saw it there yesterday
> for the first time, but only by "polling"; it wasn't announced here as promised.
> I don't know how old this news really is.

Actually the web posting was yesterday, and Anita from Tenon did post
in c.l.a. to announce it.  At my location her post preceded yours by
about 16 hours. Your mileage _will_ vary.

Usenet News was developed in homage to Albert Einstein.

Larry Kilgallen

* Re: MachTen Lite -- where is it?
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 1997-01-08  0:00 ` Thomas Kendelbacher
From: Thomas Kendelbacher @ 1997-01-08  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <brennanw-0601972303230001@indian-10.vf.pond.com>, brennanw@pond.com (William  C Brennan) writes:
>So it's January already and I'm still waiting for a MachTen which will
>run GNAT on my Mac for less than $200.  Any news for those of us who have
>been waiting anxiously for lo these many months?

Look on http://www.tenon.com/products/codebuilder. I saw it there yesterday
for the first time, but only by "polling"; it wasn't announced here as promised.
I don't know how old this news really is.

Please check the info, it looks really hot. If it wasn't for PowerMacs only, I'd
have ordered one immediately. Currently, both alternatives (either trading my old
68k Mac for a PowerMac, or buying the full MachTen Pro for 68k plus the Ported
Applications CD) are a bit too costly for me. Wonder why they sell it for PPC only;
especially in the education sector there should be quite some 68k Macs around.
Oh well...  :-(

>And the GNAT-Mac server (http://gnat-mac.com/macada/) has been down for weeks.
>What's up?

I asked this question earlier in this newsgroup (actually in November or so),
but there was no real explanation for this.

--
Thomas Kendelbacher   |   email : Thomas.Kendelbacher@erno.de (preferred)
DASA RI / Abt. RIT14  |   voice : +49 421 539 5492 (working hours)

From: Larry Kilgallen @ 1997-01-08  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <1997Jan7.235147.1@eisner>, kilgallen@eisner.decus.org (Larry Kilgallen) writes:
> In article <5av34m$k77@felix.seas.gwu.edu>, mfeldman@seas.gwu.edu (Michael Feldman) writes:
>> In article <1997Jan7.064501.1@eisner>,
>> Larry Kilgallen <kilgallen@eisner.decus.org> wrote:
>
>>>I discovered I also have a need for the full Power MachTen, so
>>>I ordered that from Apple last week.
>>                      ^^^^^ Tenon?
>
> No, Apple.
>
> The Apple Developer Catalog offers Power MachTen, Professional MachTen,
> and XTen for sale.  I would presume they will also offer Code Builder
> unless the Club Apple business means they will be not shipping direct
> and instead fronting for the MacTech Magazine operation.
>
>> Someone ought to do some GNAT bindings to the Next-ish API.:-)
>
> Someone ought to get a feed from Apple of common binding specifications,
> thereby establishing a Relationship as the merged API develops. In
> addition to the Yellow Box environment there are a lot of Apple APIs
                   Blue Box
> which have to be added to the NeXT environment, and those are likely
> to dribble out slowly over the coming two years.

Sorry about that, but as of today the press reports are calling the
System 7 compatibility portion the Blue Box and the NeXT environment
the Yellow Box.

It would be good to have Apple feed the Ada community on both sides,
but the Yellow Box (NeXT) side is where they have to do the most
work for other languages and hopefully building a reasonable approach
of multi-lingualism for OS bindings.

From: Larry Kilgallen @ 1997-01-08  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

From: Larry Kilgallen @ 1997-01-08  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <5b0dsk$kdo@mailsrv2.erno.de>, Thomas.Kendelbacher@erno.de (Thomas Kendelbacher) writes:

> Please check the info, it looks really hot. If it wasn't for PowerMacs only, I'd
> have ordered one immediately. Currently, both alternatives (either trading my old
> 68k Mac for a PowerMac, or buying the full MachTen Pro for 68k plus the Ported
> Applications CD) are a bit too costly for me. Wonder why they sell it for PPC only;
> especially in the education sector there should be quite some 68k Macs around.
> Oh well...  :-(

Indication from the developers is that the best to be hoped for in this
arena is a cross-compiler from PowerMac to 68K.  That would suit my needs
just fine, but not yours I would gather.

I really hope they get that part done, before being distracted too
much by Rhapsody, since without the ability to ship on all MacOS
platforms (including tasking) with Ada, I will have to stick with
Pascal.

Larry Kilgallen

* Re: MachTen Lite -- where is it?
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 1997-01-09  0:00 ` Tom Halliley
From: Tom Halliley @ 1997-01-09  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Try:

	http://www.tenon.com/products/codebuilder/

TomH

* Re: MachTen Lite -- where is it?
@ 1997-01-10  0:00   ` David Taylor
From: David Taylor @ 1997-01-10  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Robert Dewar wrote:

> William asks
>
> "So it's January already and I'm still waiting for a MachTen which will
> run GNAT on my Mac for less than $200.  Any news for those of us who have
> been waiting anxiously for lo these many months?"

<snip>

Tenon put out a press release on comp.unix.machten about the CodeBuilder.  Folks might want to
look there.  Sounds like a great deal.  Those of us might want an "update" to MachTen 4.0.3,
however.  I understand Jim Hopper is working on this.

If they have a browser, try <http://www.tenon.com>

Dave Taylor