* GDB with GNAT 3.04 for DOS
@ 1996-12-21  0:00 Rich Maggio
From: Rich Maggio @ 1996-12-21  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I just finished a class in data structures and learned ADA at the same time.
I used the GNAT 3.04 Ada compiler for DOS for all of my projects.  After I
ramped up on my learning curve of Ada, I decided to explore the debugger,
since I figured it was time since my assignments were getting more complex.
I am a C programmer, so I am more than aware of the importance of being
"one with your debugger" :-).

I was able to get around the debugger except for one case.  I found that I
could not step into code that existed in a generic package.  The debugger
seemed to go off into nowhere land - referencing random lines of code in my
source.  It did not generate any error messages or anything.

Since the class was a data structures class, the meat of my projects lived in
generic packages.  Is this a known issue?  Is the only workaround to make the
package non-generic, work out the bugs in the logic, and then make it generic?
This worked for me, but was a bit cumbersome at times.  If this is the only
way around the issue, someone may want to update the documents to reflect this.

I read through all of the docs that I had (I downloaded the EZ2LOAD package)
and not only did not find any reference to this issue, but no references to
Ada.

Any suggestions are welcomed.

Thanks!
Rich Maggio

* Re: GDB with GNAT 3.04 for DOS
@ 1996-12-23  0:00 ` Gautier
From: Gautier @ 1996-12-23  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <E2qt3r.K24@nonexistent.com>,
Rich Maggio <maggior@world2u.com> writes:
> I was able to get around the debugger except for one case.  I found that I
> could not step into code that existed in a generic package.  The debugger
> seemed to go off into nowhere land - referencing random lines of code in my
> source.  It did not generate any error messages or anything.
>..
>
> Thanks!
> Rich Maggio

I had the same problem, since I use GNAT to build a math library that
is very generic... The result is a primitive interface that makes all
the job: call GDB, filter useless info, show the call stack with filenames
and optionally source lines.

You can download an OLD version in archive AD.ZIP at:

    http://www.unine.ch/math/Personnel/Assistants/Gautier/Gaut_FTP.htm

that doesn't deal with generic units, but if you want the LAST version,
that does, and is more robust, I can send it to you via e-mail or ftp
(till I meet the guru who has the keys of my Web pages...)

Gautier

* Re: GDB with GNAT 3.04 for DOS
@ 1996-12-23  0:00   ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 1996-12-23  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Rich Maggio <maggior@world2u.com> writes:
> I was able to get around the debugger except for one case.  I found that I
> could not step into code that existed in a generic package.  The debugger
> seemed to go off into nowhere land - referencing random lines of code in my
> source.  It did not generate any error messages or anything.

That's odd, but might be a result of using an old version of GNAT. Certainly
I step into generic code all the time, and in fact you can successfully
set breakpoints in generic code as well (i.e. in a specific instance) by
using the properly qualified name of the subprogram.

My suggestion is to try this again with 3.07 when it is available, and
then if you have a specific instance of failure, report it with as much
detail as possible to report@gnat.com.

Robert Dewar
Ada Core Technologies