From: dewar@merv.cs.nyu.edu (Robert Dewar)
Subject: Re: NVRAM or how can I enforce a range check in Ada83.
Date: 1996/11/22
Date: 1996-11-22T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Ken says

"Robert Dewar wrote:

> Ken Garlington says
>
> "There is an Ada 83 interpretation that says compilers are permitted to warn
> you if the Source and Target are of different sizes on an unchecked conversion
,
> but as I understand it this isn't a requirement."
>
> This is not right. No interpretation is needed to permit a compiler to
> generate warning messages, a compiler can generate whatever warning
> messages it likes, since these are entirely outside the language.

There is an Ada 83 AI that includes these words. It may not be a well-written AI
,
but it does exist. My browser is behaving badly at the moment, but perhaps you
could go look at the Ada 83 AI written about Unchecked_Conversions between sourc
and target of different sizes, and explain where I misunderstood the words."

This might well be mentioned in an AI, but is not part of the interpretation,
just a useful reminder to the reader that compilers are ALWAYS allowed
to generate warnings about anything that they want. An AI might often
point out that it is quite reasonable to issue a warning in some given
situation, but in no sense is the AI *granting* that permissing, which
always exists, regardless of any AI's.