From: dewar@merv.cs.nyu.edu (Robert Dewar)
Subject: Re: the 'small attribute and Ada95
Date: 1996/11/12
Date: 1996-11-12T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Robert Duff says

"Several floating point attributes were removed from the language.  The
intent was that implementations would support them anyway, as
implementation-defined attributes, for upward compatibility.  We just
didn't want to go to the trouble of defining what they mean in the RM.
Unfortunately, there was a glitch -- an implementation is allowed to
define new attributes, but is not allowed to extend existing attributes.
Since Small is defined for fixed point types, it would normally be
illegal for an implementation to allow float'Small.  However, AI-93
explicitly gives permission to support Small on floating point types.
AI-93 has been approved by the appropriate ISO committees (ARG and WG9)."

GNAT implements all Ada 83 attributes, including Small on floating-point
types. I think it would be desirable if all Ada 95 compilers would do the
same.