From: dewar@merv.cs.nyu.edu (Robert Dewar)
Subject: Re: Two questions
Date: 1996/11/07
Date: 1996-11-07T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Ding-yuan Sheu asks

 I am converting a C++ application into Ada95 and ran into
 two problems. If you know the answers, please let me know. I appreciate
 your any help.

 (2) In a C++ function, prorammers can declare a static local variable
 to preserve its value between function calls. Can I do that in Ada?

Let me address the second question. Yes, of course, this can be done using
a package level variable in Ada. Your question makes me suspect that you
do not have a good understanding of package structure in Ada. This is a
very fundamental part of the language, and it if you are going to do a good
job of reengineering a C++ application into Ada, as opposed to a translation
at a minimal level that ends up with Ada code looking like C++, then it is
important to master the package concept.

Straight minimal translation of software seldom makes sense, but you can
use the occasion of translation to reengineer and improve the structure
of the original, taking advantage of the full capabilities of the target
language, but to be able to do that requires a good understanding of both
source and target languages.

Try going to adahome and following links to some of the very nice online
tutorials, you may find these useful for learning more about Ada 95.

"Can I .. using a static variable in the subprogram:"

this is C terminology and C thinking, there is no such thing as a static
variable inside a subprogram in Ada.