* GDB & GNAT
@ 1996-10-17  0:00 Hal Manuel
From: Hal Manuel @ 1996-10-17  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Has anyone made an effort to incorporate the gdb-4.15.1.gnat.1.10
patch into gdb?  I think that it would definitely be a plus to
have gdb support debugging Ada programs, but I don't believe that
gdb-4.16 supports it (nor is there a patch that I've been able to
find to modify it to support it).

I was just curious.

Hal

**  Hal Manuel, Software Eng.  | "If you're in a vehicle     **
**  Raytheon E-Systems         |  going the speed of light,  **
**  (972)205-8921              |  what happens when you turn **
**  HEManuel@ESY.Com           |  on the headlights?"        **
**/\  /|  Opinions expressed are my own and do not    |\  /\ **
**  \/ |  reflect the opinions of Raytheon E-Systems  | \/  \**

* Re: GDB & GNAT
@ 1996-10-31  0:00 ` David Weller
From: David Weller @ 1996-10-31  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <3266455C.25F4@esy.com>, Hal Manuel  <hemanuel@GAR.ESYS.COM> wrote:
>Has anyone made an effort to incorporate the gdb-4.15.1.gnat.1.10
>patch into gdb?  I think that it would definitely be a plus to
>have gdb support debugging Ada programs, but I don't believe that
>gdb-4.16 supports it (nor is there a patch that I've been able to
>find to modify it to support it).

Hopefully, Dr. Dewar will have a better answer for this, but the short
answer is: There ain't a solution for you.  With the exception of the
SGI platform (well, there might be others), there is no halfway decent
source-level debugger available for GNAT.

Cygnus is busy integrating GDB with Tk, so there may be a chance to
integrate Ada sensitivity into it.

Paul Hilfinger, who did the work at UC Berkeley, indicated that the
effort to integrate the "GNAT" changes to 4.15 into 4.16 would be
"nontrivial".

Perhaps somebody in the gnat.com domain would care to coment on this?

--
    Visit the Ada 95 Booch Components Homepage: www.ocsystems.com/booch
     This is not your father's Ada -- www.adahome.com <== Note new URL!

* Re: GDB & GNAT
@ 1996-11-01  0:00   ` James W. Bennett
From: James W. Bennett @ 1996-11-01  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Weller wrote:

> In article <3266455C.25F4@esy.com>, Hal Manuel  <hemanuel@GAR.ESYS.COM> wrote:
> >Has anyone made an effort to incorporate the gdb-4.15.1.gnat.1.10
> >patch into gdb?  I think that it would definitely be a plus to
> >have gdb support debugging Ada programs, but I don't believe that
> >gdb-4.16 supports it (nor is there a patch that I've been able to
> >find to modify it to support it).
> >

> Hopefully, Dr. Dewar will have a better answer for this, but the short
> answer is: There ain't a solution for you.  With the exception of the
> SGI platform (well, there might be others), there is no halfway decent
> source-level debugger available for GNAT.
>
> Cygnus is busy integrating GDB with Tk, so there may be a chance to
> integrate Ada sensitivity into it.
>
> Paul Hilfinger, who did the work at UC Berkeley, indicated that the
> effort to integrate the "GNAT" changes to 4.15 into 4.16 would be
> "nontrivial".

Actually, it was non-trivial, but not insurmountable. I've had one I've
been testing and using since Oct 24. I haven't had a lot of time to
dedicate to testing, but initial examing of structures, source and
pointers to structures seem to work. It also works VERY well with
ddd-2.0 which can make for a VERY nice GUI based debugging environment.
Actually rivals DEC's debugger for ease of use... And DDD is designed to
work with GDB and Ada.

This was based on the version from UC Berkeley and 99% of the credit
should go back to Paul Hilfinger.

If anyone would like to test the changes feel free, you can get them
at ftp://ftp.tara-lu.com/pub/gnat/gdb-4.16-gnat-3.05.diff.gz

--
Jim Bennett                           Tara-Lu Corporation
email: jimb@tara-lu.com               Consulting Services Division

* Re: GDB & GNAT
@ 1996-11-02  0:00   ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 1996-11-02  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dave Weller said

""Paul Hilfinger, who did the work at UC Berkeley, indicated that the
effort to integrate the "GNAT" changes to 4.15 into 4.16 would be
"nontrivial".

Perhaps somebody in the gnat.com domain would care to coment on this?
"

Someone already posted here that the 4.16 patches have been made
available, and I believe these are already on the cs.nyu.edu site,
if not they soon will be. Dave, you should try reading CLA, all
sortws of interesting stuff gets posted there :-)

Also Dave, did you take a look at DDD?