* HTML version of GNAT documentation
@ 1996-10-09  0:00 Hal Manuel
From: Hal Manuel @ 1996-10-09  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Does anyone know where I can find an HTML version of the GNAT
documentation more recent than the August 1995 one at
http://www.adahome.com/Resources/Compilers/GNAT-info.html
(Home of the Brave Ada Programmers)

Thanx in advance,

Hal

**  Hal Manuel, Software Eng.  | "If you're in a vehicle     **
**  Raytheon E-Systems         |  going the speed of light,  **
**  (972)205-8921              |  what happens when you turn **
**  HEManuel@ESY.Com           |  on the headlights?"        **
**/\  /|  Opinions expressed are my own and do not    |\  /\ **
**  \/ |  reflect the opinions of Raytheon E-Systems  | \/  \**

* Re: HTML version of GNAT documentation
@ 1996-10-09  0:00 ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 1996-10-09  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hal asks

"Does anyone know where I can find an HTML version of the GNAT
documentation more recent than the August 1995 one at
http://www.adahome.com/Resources/Compilers/GNAT-info.html
(Home of the Brave Ada Programmers)
"

Someone may have done a more recent one, but it should be noted that
gnatinfo.txt will be obsoleted with the next release of GNAT in any case,
being replaced by the first versions of the GNAT reference manual and
GNAT programmers guide, supplied in Texinfo, Info, HTML and Postscript
forms.

* Re: HTML version of GNAT documentation
@ 1996-10-15  0:00   ` Richard A. O'Keefe
From: Richard A. O'Keefe @ 1996-10-15  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

dewar@merv.cs.nyu.edu (Robert Dewar) writes:
>Someone may have done a more recent one, but it should be noted that
>gnatinfo.txt will be obsoleted with the next release of GNAT in any case,
>being replaced by the first versions of the GNAT reference manual and
>GNAT programmers guide,

Good news about a _great_ system

>supplied in Texinfo, Info, HTML and Postscript forms.

Um.  Will the Postscript be for A4 paper, or for US-only "letter" size?
You wouldn't believe how hard it is to print postscript formatted for US
paper; when I finally managed to print the last such thing I had to deal
with some of the text was cropped at the right margin, and I was lucky to
be able to print it _at all_.  We've also had trouble with Texinfo; it
seems that every "texinfo" document I've tried to deal with wants its own
slightly different textinfo.sty file.

--
Mixed Member Proportional---a *great* way to vote!
Richard A. O'Keefe; http://www.cs.rmit.edu.au/%7Eok; RMIT Comp.Sci.

* Re: HTML version of GNAT documentation
@ 1996-10-15  0:00     ` Richard Kenner
From: Richard Kenner @ 1996-10-15  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <53vgga$20t$1@goanna.cs.rmit.edu.au> ok@goanna.cs.rmit.edu.au (Richard A. O'Keefe) writes:
>Um.  Will the Postscript be for A4 paper, or for US-only "letter" size?
>You wouldn't believe how hard it is to print postscript formatted for US
>paper; when I finally managed to print the last such thing I had to deal
>with some of the text was cropped at the right margin, and I was lucky to
>be able to print it _at all_.  We've also had trouble with Texinfo; it
>seems that every "texinfo" document I've tried to deal with wants its own
>slightly different textinfo.sty file.

The Postscript will be a some default format; you should feel free to make
your own if you have specific printing needs.

There's no texinfo.sty file I've ever seen.  Perhaps you're talking about
the texinfo.tex file itself.  In general, texinfo documents normally
assuem the latest version of that file in use when they were written.

* Re: HTML version of GNAT documentation
@ 1996-10-16  0:00   ` Hannes Haug
From: Hannes Haug @ 1996-10-16  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

ok@goanna.cs.rmit.edu.au (Richard A. O'Keefe) writes:

> Um.  Will the Postscript be for A4 paper, or for US-only "letter" size?
> You wouldn't believe how hard it is to print postscript formatted for US
> paper; when I finally managed to print the last such thing I had to deal
> with some of the text was cropped at the right margin, and I was lucky to
> be able to print it _at all_.  We've also had trouble with Texinfo; it
> seems that every "texinfo" document I've tried to deal with wants its own
> slightly different textinfo.sty file.

From the texinfo manual:

Printing on A4 Paper
====================

  You can tell TeX to typeset a document for printing on European size
A4 paper with the `@afourpaper' command.  Write the command on a line
by itself between `@iftex' and `@end iftex' lines near the beginning of
the Texinfo file, before the title page:

  For example, this is how you would write the header for this manual:

     \input texinfo    @c -*-texinfo-*-
     @c %**start of header
     @setfilename texinfo
     @settitle Texinfo
     @syncodeindex vr fn
     @iftex
     @afourpaper
     @end iftex
     @c %**end of header

 -hannes

* Re: HTML version of GNAT documentation
@ 1996-10-16  0:00     ` Shayne Flint
From: Shayne Flint @ 1996-10-16  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Richard A. O'Keefe wrote:

> Um.  Will the Postscript be for A4 paper, or for US-only "letter" size?
> You wouldn't believe how hard it is to print postscript formatted for US
> paper; when I finally managed to print the last such thing I had to deal
> with some of the text was cropped at the right margin, and I was lucky to
> be able to print it _at all_.  We've also had trouble with Texinfo; it
> seems that every "texinfo" document I've tried to deal with wants its own
> slightly different textinfo.sty file.

He's right, and most users outside the USA would agree. Printing US
Letter size documents on A4 is a royal pain in the butt!! Even so, US
letter versions of the documents will be most welcome.

-- Shayne Flint                          Promoting Ada as the
-- Ainslie Software Pty Limited          programming language
-- shayne@ainslie.com.au                 for serious software

* Re: HTML version of GNAT documentation
@ 1996-10-16  0:00       ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 1996-10-16  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Shayne said

"He's right, and most users outside the USA would agree. Printing US
Letter size documents on A4 is a royal pain in the butt!! Even so, US
letter versions of the documents will be most welcome.
"

That's odd, I have never had any trouble, I used some standard utility
for converting postscript files, I forget its name, but it seemed to work
fine, maybe someone knows the details.