From: dewar@merv.cs.nyu.edu (Robert Dewar)
Subject: Re: Rep Specs
Date: 1996/10/13
Date: 1996-10-13T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Stephen Lake said, responding to Doug Shipler's problem:

  "I ran into a similar problem. The cause is that the Sparc is
  little-bit-endian; it stores the least significant bit in the highest
  numbered bit slot."

  and then follows a very contorted work around!

No, that's not the cause. The quoted code is quite correct, and should
work on either a little endian or big-endian machine. If it does not
you have run into a compiler bug. Your suggestion might be reasonable
as a work around, but we should not leave the impression that this
work around is neccessary on a correctly functioning Ada compiler!