* Port Ada 83 to GNAT
@ 1996-10-10  0:00 ETHoierman
From: ETHoierman @ 1996-10-10  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've got about 0.5MSLOC of Ada 83 (Verdix cross environment) that I need
to bring over to GNAT for evaluation purposes.  Although reasonably clean,
I'm going to be dealing with some X'ref, system.address<=>access types,
float/short float, and Verdix library problems.

Looking for some 'cheap' ways to automate the cleanup/port and looking for
tips/sad stories.  I'm also looking for some tools to help clean up the
inline documentation and maybe extract some interface/structure info. for
external documentation purposes.  I've cruised through the PAL & Ada IC
stuff but keep finding promising paths turning to mush (e.g. needing
VAX/VMS, etc.)

If part of the solution is a $100,000 CASE/development environment, I
can't affort it.  Can anyone point me in the right direction???

Eternally greatful (or Greatful Dead?)
ETH

* Re: Port Ada 83 to GNAT
@ 1996-10-11  0:00   ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 1996-10-11  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

"In article <53jvmc$2sr@newsbf02.news.aol.com>, ethoierman@aol.com (ETHoierman) w
rites:
> I've got about 0.5MSLOC of Ada 83 (Verdix cross environment) that I need
> to bring over to GNAT for evaluation purposes.  Although reasonably clean,
> I'm going to be dealing with some X'ref, system.address<=>access types,
> float/short float, and Verdix library problems.
>
> Looking for some 'cheap' ways to automate the cleanup/port and looking for
> tips/sad stories.  I'm also looking for some tools to help clean up the
> inline documentation and maybe extract some interface/structure info. for
> external documentation purposes.  I've cruised through the PAL & Ada IC
> stuff but keep finding promising paths turning to mush (e.g. needing
> VAX/VMS, etc.)
>
> If part of the solution is a $100,000 CASE/development environment, I
> can't affort it.  Can anyone point me in the right direction???"

We (Ada Core Technologies) have a lot of experience in successfully porting
Verdix Ada 83 code to GNAT -- I am talking programs in the 250,000 to one
million line range here -- for several major customers. It is something that
we can definitely provide assistance for. If you want to find more about
how we could help, send email to support@gnat.com.

P.S. I know this is a bit close to commercial advertising, but at least no
one can say that is *all* I post on CLA :-) and this seems to be informatoin
which might be of use to a number of readers.

Robert Dewar
Ada Core Technologies.

* Re: Port Ada 83 to GNAT
@ 1996-10-11  0:00 ` Larry Kilgallen
From: Larry Kilgallen @ 1996-10-11  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <53jvmc$2sr@newsbf02.news.aol.com>, ethoierman@aol.com (ETHoierman) writes:
> I've got about 0.5MSLOC of Ada 83 (Verdix cross environment) that I need
> to bring over to GNAT for evaluation purposes.  Although reasonably clean,
> I'm going to be dealing with some X'ref, system.address<=>access types,
> float/short float, and Verdix library problems.
>
> Looking for some 'cheap' ways to automate the cleanup/port and looking for
> tips/sad stories.  I'm also looking for some tools to help clean up the
> inline documentation and maybe extract some interface/structure info. for
> external documentation purposes.  I've cruised through the PAL & Ada IC
> stuff but keep finding promising paths turning to mush (e.g. needing
> VAX/VMS, etc.)
>
> If part of the solution is a $100,000 CASE/development environment, I
> can't affort it.  Can anyone point me in the right direction???

I think you need to provide more information about your environment
in order for readers to understand what would be "cheap" for you.
For me, requires VAX/VMS would be a trivial "no-cost" requirement
while some other restriction (must know Unix?) would drive the cost
too high. I think I recall a Verdix offering for VAX/VMS, so just
specifying Verdix as your starting point does not make your requirements
clear to all of us.

Larry Kilgallen

* Re: Port Ada 83 to GNAT
@ 1996-10-11  0:00 ` jim hopper
From: jim hopper @ 1996-10-11  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

<I've got about 0.5MSLOC of Ada 83 (Verdix cross environment) that I
need
<to bring over to GNAT for evaluation purposes.  Although reasonably
clean,
<I'm going to be dealing with some X'ref, system.address<=>access
types,
<float/short float, and Verdix library problems.

one thing you might want to look at is the sgi version of gnat has a
verdix library that comes with it that replaces some of the verdix
specific libraries.  we moved some vads code over using it and it
helped quite a bit.

best jim