* Re: AJPO's Engle announces end of Ada Mandate
       [not found] <Dz3Gvz.Mpw@world.std.com>
@ 1996-10-11  0:00 ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 1996-10-11  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Greg says (among much other stuff in his usual style)

"What's so frustrating is that no one is going to punished for this gross
abuse of the taxpayers trust."

The critical word here is "frustrating". Greg is still annoyed that he
failed to succeed in the Ada business, and is frustrated that the perpetrators
of this have not been punished. Since Greg has not been around for a while
it is useful for new readers of the group to understand these dynamics.
Greg is operating at least partly out of spite, and so you have to be
careful to interprete what he writes in this light.

I am posting this message because in the past, Greg has often said that
he will only listen to people who are willing to invest their own money
in the Ada business. Since I qualify under this (rather peculiar) criterion,
it seems reasonable for me to be the one who puts GA's comments in
perspective.

Robert Dewar

@ 1996-10-11  0:00 ` Ken Garlington
From: Ken Garlington @ 1996-10-11  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Gregory Aharonian wrote:

> The NRC might have admitted this had the DoD
> not censored the data supplied to the NRC for their deliberations, which
> shows that the Ada reality is much worse.

I have the data which my program submitted to the NRC. We supported the use
of Ada. If someone would like to get those inputs, I can give you the USAF
point of contact who can provide the details. I suppose the data is "censored"
in that it requires USAF approval to be released.

--
LMTAS - "Our Brand Means Quality"
For more info, see http://www.lmtas.com or http://www.lmco.com

* Re: AJPO's Engle announces end of Ada Mandate
       [not found] <Dz3Gvz.Mpw@world.std.com>
@ 1996-10-11  0:00 ` Brad Balfour
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Brad Balfour @ 1996-10-11  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <Dz3Gvz.Mpw@world.std.com>, srctran@world.std.com (Gregory
Aharonian) wrote:

>    A recent news item in Government Computer News, when translated into
>reality-English
[snip]
>    "AJPO, which promotes the DoD-funded language, plans to win greater
>    acceptance through education, Engle said.  This year, all freshman
>    at the US Military Academy and the Air Force Academy are required
>    to take Ada 95 programming."
>
>translation:  As Greg Aharonian has pointed out, for many years Pascal was
>predominantly taught to freshman at most universities, yet most research
>and thesis work at these same schools used languages such as Fortran, C
>and Lisp.  The same holds true at the DoD academies, so that this requirement
>is a meaningless gesture used to justify all the money blown on university
>projects funded by AJPO, all the more so because the Naval Postgraduate School
>is not on the list.

In the interest of full disclosure and the Truth, I would like to point
out that the Naval Postgraduate School has announced that it has
transitioned it's courses to Ada 95. The fact that Government Computer
News did not mention it in the paragraph quoted above does not negate the
truth of it.

I will not speculate on whether or not Greg knew this and chose to present
the facts otherwise or was mearly ignorant of this fact.

--
Brad Balfour                         SIGAda WWW Server
CACI, Inc.                              http://www.acm.org/sigada/

* Re: AJPO's Engle announces end of Ada Mandate
       [not found] <Dz3Gvz.Mpw@world.std.com>
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 1996-10-12  0:00 ` Tucker Taft
From: Tucker Taft @ 1996-10-12  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Gregory Aharonian (srctran@world.std.com) wrote:

: ... The NRC might have admitted this had the DoD
: not censored the data supplied to the NRC for their deliberations, which
: shows that the Ada reality is much worse.

It is ironic to listen to diatribes about "fraud" and "corruption"
when Greg insists on writing things that have no basis in fact.
The DoD did not censor data supplied to the NRC committee, and the NRC
committee did not rely on the DoD as its only source of input.

It is always a shame to see Greg's occasional grain of truth barried in a
sea of diatribe.

I trust those of you interested in the facts will read the NRC committee
report yourself when it comes out, and not rely on the various newsgroup
"reporters" to provide you with a summary.

: Greg Aharonian
: Source Translation & Optimization

Intermetrics, Inc.  Cambridge, MA  USA