From: dewar@cs.nyu.edu (Robert Dewar)
Subject: Re: Ada Editor
Date: 1996/09/11
Date: 1996-09-11T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Adam asks

"I recently downloaded GNAT for Win95.  Does anyone have a good editor to
use with this?  I am just starting out with Ada programing, and I would
like an editor that is easy to use.  We are using VI editor at school on a
UNIX system, and it sucks!  We are also using Meridian Open Ada, and that
is also horrible.  I am using a Pentium 133 with 16MB and Win95.  Can
someone please help me out?"

Well you are not looking for a "good" editor, you are looking for an
editor that you will like, and the only thing we know about your
particular tastes are that you don't like VI (many people who use only
VI all the time, think it is a good editor, which should be a reminder
that this phrase is unhelpful flame bait).

You should definitely try using EMACS. The learning curve is steep, but
the capabilities are great. In particular if you are using GNAT, it is
very nicely integrated with GNAT, GNATF and GDB, and the set of tools
makes a powerful combination.

Lots of people like EMACS and think it is good, who knows maybe you will
be one more such person.

Always bear in mind that editors are like programming languages, every
single one has people who hate it and people who love it.

P.S. I know quite a lot of Win95 users still using my old dved editor,
available free all over the place.