* Two ideas for the next Ada standard
@ 1996-08-28  0:00 Van Snyder
From: Van Snyder @ 1996-08-28  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

1.  Allow the "mode" of an "access to procedure" or "access to function"
    formal argument to be "limited".  Interpret this to mean "you can only
    use this argument to access the subprogram, or pass it as an actual
    argument to a formal argument of `limited' mode."  This would prevent
    one from storing the "pointer" into an "access to procedure" variable,
    and thereby allow safely passing internal procedures as actual arguments.

2.  Allow an "out" "mode" for variables in specification parts, or fields
    in records.  The interpretation is that any one can read the variables,
    but only procedures in (or the initialization part of) the body of the
    package can write them, or pass them to other than "in" mode formal
    arguments in different packages.  Given this, one can safely expose
    variables containing values one wishes to expose, but to which one does
    not want to permit willy-nilly changes, without the need to write a
    one-line function.
--
What fraction of Americans believe   |  Van Snyder
Wrestling is real and NASA is fake?  |  vsnyder@math.jpl.nasa.gov

* Re:Two ideas for the next Ada Standard
@ 1996-08-31  0:00 dulman
From: dulman @ 1996-08-31  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

     As began debate concerning future of the language standard, I would
     like to do some remarks to future ADA-0x.

     1. ALIASED is more common notion then RENAMES  and  (it seams to me)
        this key word needn't.

     2. OUT parameters have such chances as IN OUT

     3. Maybe  for calling entry in SELECT statement with  DELAY to write
        in the form :

        <entry_name>(...)   WITH DELAY [UNTIL] <time>;

        ACCEPT <entry_name>(...) WITH DELAY [UNTIL] <time> DO ...   END;

        This construction will  allow to expect rendezvous  up to a given
        time moment, or given time interval.

     4. To add the subroutine parameter type ALIASED, that will  allow to
        use inside it reference to the subroutines with  " 'ACCESS " or
        " 'UNCHECKED_ACCESS" parameters.

     5. Nongeneric form of packages  DIRECT_IO and SEQUENTIAL_IO.
        Parameter RECORD_SIZE to add for  parameter's  list in procedures
        CREATE and OPEN
        (for example in form RECORD_SIZE:=<type's name>'size;).

     6. To specify use ACCESS and UNCHECKED_ACCESS attributes for aliased
        variable. Now (in basic) it is necessary to use  UNCHECKED_ACCESS
        attribute.

       Leonid Dulman (dulman@ibm.net)

* Re: Two ideas for the next Ada Standard
@ 1996-09-04  0:00 Bob Mathis
From: Bob Mathis @ 1996-09-04  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bob Duff, in talking about Robert Dewar, said,

>I suspect he has two keyboards on his desk, and fixes bugs in GNAT with
>his right hand, while simultaneously posting to comp.lang.ada with his
>left hand.

A year ago Robert and I were in Frankfurt, Germany, and I was showing off my new
ThinkPad and how Compuserve connected to the Web. Robert asked if he could
Telnet to his home computer to read his mail. That was easy. Then he asked if he
might stay while the rest of us went back to a conference session. A couple of
hours later I went back to check on him and found him actually doing what Bob
Duff guessed about. Robert had my computer doing e-mail and his own ThinkPad
next to it doing a recompilation of some part of GNAT.

-- Bob Mathis

* Re: Two ideas for the next Ada Standard
@ 1996-09-04  0:00 Marin David Condic, 407.796.8997, M/S 731-93
From: Marin David Condic, 407.796.8997, M/S 731-93 @ 1996-09-04  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jon S Anthony <jsa@ALEXANDRIA.AMERICAN.EDU> writes:
>I think the problem here is that instead of learning and understanding
>the Ada model, you are simply trying to write C++ in Ada.  A recipe
>for frustration and annoyance and error if there ever was one.

    Years ago when Ada83 first came out, I remember the Fortran
    programmers bitching up and down because you couldn't do with
    packages the things you could do with common blocks and worrying
    about if arrays were addressed in row-major order or not. They
    wanted to write "Adatran" code and found it difficult to "get with
    the game plan." (A good Fortran programmer can write Fortran no
    matter *what* language you give him!)

    Now it's the C++ programmers having a hard time trying to write
    "Ada++" Maybe someone needs to write a "Ada for C++ programmers"
    book that does some reeducation?

    I imagine this is a common problem when switching from *any*
    language to *any other*. It's hard to convince many people that
    they need to adjust the way they think about solving the problems
    to the (dare I use the word?) paradigm imposed by the new
    language.

    MDC

Marin David Condic, Senior Computer Engineer    ATT:        407.796.8997
M/S 731-96                                      Technet:    796.8997
Pratt & Whitney, GESP                           Fax:        407.796.4669
P.O. Box 109600                                 Internet:   CONDICMA@PWFL.COM
West Palm Beach, FL 33410-9600                  Internet:   CONDIC@FLINET.COM
    "Thanks to the Interstate Highway System, it is now possible
    to travel across the country from coast to coast without seeing
    anything."

        --  Charles Kuralt

* Re: Two ideas for the next Ada Standard
@ 1996-09-06  0:00 Marin David Condic, 407.796.8997, M/S 731-93
From: Marin David Condic, 407.796.8997, M/S 731-93 @ 1996-09-06  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jon S Anthony <jsa@organon.com> writes:
>Wow.  Something is _really_ screwy with my address.  I'm certainly
>not at "americant.edu" - I'm at where my sig. sez.  I wonder what the

    Sorry about that, but this is a direct cut from the INFO-ADA
    listserver that sends the stuff my way:
From:    Jon S Anthony <jsa@ALEXANDRIA.AMERICAN.EDU>

>what capability they are trying to provide.  I mean this at the level
>of the language - not "just" the programmer's view trying to write a
>hunk of code.  Once you have that, it is fairly easy to move around.
>"Oh language X solves that problem with A, B, and C.  Interesting.
>Language Y solves it with R and Q."  The only place where you may hit
>a speed bump with this is when moving between procedural and
>declarative languages.

    As you observe, you can get a couple of different views on the
    same problem (trying to shift from one language's "paradigm"
    (ugggh!) to another) C syntax/semantics tends to lead the
    programmer towards thinking of solutions involving pointers to
    everything, arrays/counters that start at zero, returned function
    codes for determining success/failure, etc. They get frustrated
    when they move to a language like Ada which may certainly allow
    you to do all of the same things, but doesn't really want you to.
    ("Yes you _can_ pass strings to subroutines by declaring an access
    type, etc., but why would you _want_ to???")

    Another class of problem is where the language itself is so
    dramatically different that it's damned near impossible to get
    your brain wrapped around the way it works. I started with Pascal,
    Fortran and other "normal" languages. The first time I encountered
    Lisp, it about choked me to death! (There are two kinds of
    programming languages in the world: Lisp and Everything-Else)
    Things like RPG-II were equally strange and difficult to find any
    "reference points" in. In some ways, this was better because you
    *knew* from the get-go that you were going to have to discard all
    of your pre-conceived notions about how to write a program and
    learn to work *with* the new language, rather than trying to
    bludgeon it into doing what you were used to.

    MDC

Marin David Condic, Senior Computer Engineer    ATT:        407.796.8997
M/S 731-96                                      Technet:    796.8997
Pratt & Whitney, GESP                           Fax:        407.796.4669
P.O. Box 109600                                 Internet:   CONDICMA@PWFL.COM
West Palm Beach, FL 33410-9600                  Internet:   CONDIC@FLINET.COM
   "The first guy that rats gets a bellyful of slugs in the head.
    Understand?"

        --  Joey Glimco, trade unionist