From: dewar@cs.nyu.edu (Robert Dewar)
Subject: Re: non key-words in xemacs to be upper case
Date: 1996/08/31
Date: 1996-08-31T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Charles said

"FWIW, I follow the Mike Feldman approach. Perhaps its my ALGOL 68 upbringing
:-). What I certainly do NOT like is the opposite convention of using
lower-case reserved words, as was done in the LRM."

In my experience anyone can get used to almost any convention. What is
valuable is for everyone to use the same convention, so that silly
disagreements on capitalization conventions do not get in the way of
code sharing etc.

It seems clear that the Ada community largely prefers lower case keywords
and mixed case identifiers. I think it is a good idea if the minority
that likes other conventions makes an effort to shift.

I can say this, because I certainly used to be in this minority, and used
to use lower case keywords and ALL UPPER CASE IDENTIFIERS. At first it
was painful to switch to Mixed_Case_Identifiers, but now I am completely
used to it.

What I particularly dislike about Mike's book is that it deliberately
departs from standard Ada practice, for what I consider are insufficiently
good reasons. It would be as though someone wrote a C book in which they
recommended using mixed case for macro names.