From: dewar@cs.nyu.edu (Robert Dewar)
Subject: Re: Conrolled types at library level only?
Date: 1996/08/28
Date: 1996-08-28T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

iDavid Hunter asks

"I've got a generic package that defines a controlled type.
When I try to instantiate the package in a procedure,
GNAT (3.04a) tells me that conrolled types can only be
defined at library level.  Sure enough, I can instantiate
the generic in a package but not in a procedure.  Is
this rule part of the Ada95 definition or a particular
weakness of GNAT?"

When GNAT outputs a message like this, it is telling you that your
program is illegal, and why it is illegal, and it is absolutely right,
the source of your problem is that "controlled types can only be
defined at library level"!