* question regarding number of files
@ 1996-08-16  0:00 Ramesh S. Mantri
From: Ramesh S. Mantri @ 1996-08-16  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have noticed something inexplicable about how Ada programs affect
the number of files in the directory. This is relevant because our
computer accounts have restrictions regarding the disk usage, number
of files in the filesystem and so on. After I create a file the number
of files increases by 1. After I compile it, the number of files is
increasing by nearly 6 or so. When I delete the source file and the
executable files, the number of files decreases only by 2, leaving
some residue. Can anyone explain why this is happening? Because at this
rate, I'll not be able to create any more files in my directory quite
soon.
Thanks.
--- Ramesh Mantri

* Re: question regarding number of files
@ 1996-08-19  0:00 ` John Herro
From: John Herro @ 1996-08-19  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

mantri@ponder.csci.unt.edu (Ramesh S. Mantri)
mentions that after compiling an Ada program and
deleting the source and executable files, there's
still a "residue" of files left in his directory.

     The "residue" of files is supposed to be there, but you can delete
them if you know that you won't need that program again.
     A wonderful feature of Ada is that your program library remembers
what you've compiled.  For example, let's suppose you write a "Hello,
world" program called procedure Hello, compile it, link it as a main
program, and run it.  Then you delete the source and executable.  Your Ada
library still remembers what you've compiled.  You can write another
program that calls procedure Hello, compile, link, and run it just fine,
even though you've deleted the source and executable for Hello!
Your new program need only begin "with Hello;".
     If you know you'll never want to call Hello from another program, you
can delete its "residue" of files.
     Other languages, like Fortran, have libraries, but they're fixed and
don't remember what we've compiled.  The Ada system has great advantages,
too numerous to mention here.  These advantages help you develop programs
consistently.
     For example, in many languages you can make the mistake of calling a
subprogram with the wrong number or types of parameters.  You can't do
this in Ada, even if you compile the subprogram today and the calling
program a month later!
     For more information about the Ada library and its advantages,
download the Ada Tutor program at the Web or FTP site below my signature.
- John Herro
Software Innovations Technology
http://members.aol.com/AdaTutor
ftp://members.aol.com/AdaTutor

* Re: question regarding number of files
@ 1996-08-19  0:00 ` Ted Dennison
From: Ted Dennison @ 1996-08-19  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ramesh S. Mantri wrote:

> of files increases by 1. After I compile it, the number of files is
> increasing by nearly 6 or so. When I delete the source file and the
> executable files, the number of files decreases only by 2, leaving
> some residue. Can anyone explain why this is happening? Because at this

What Ada compiler (and what platform) are you using?

--
T.E.D.
                |  Work - mailto:dennison@escmail.orl.mmc.com  |

* Re: question regarding number of files
@ 1996-08-20  0:00   ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 1996-08-20  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

John Herro said

"     For more information about the Ada library and its advantages,
download the Ada Tutor program at the Web or FTP site below my signature."

The notion of an Ada library is an obsolete Ada 83 concept. In Ada 95,
this is replaced with the notion of a compilation environment, which
may be represented in many ways (for example in GNAT it is represented
using the original source files).

So John's comments about a library are highly implementation specific
and do not apply to GNAT. I have not read what Ada Tutor has to say
about libraries, but it sounds like it is probably Ada 83, rather
than Ada 95 relevant.

Now of course John *may* be right if you are not using GNAT. If you
are using GNAT, there are also several files generated, as described
in the documentation (I hope you are not yet another user of GNAT who
has not read gantinfo.txt :-) but they do not have to do with checking
types etc.