From: dewar@cs.nyu.edu (Robert Dewar)
Subject: Re: Three releases and rewrite?
Date: 1996/08/17
Date: 1996-08-17T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

":     It seems like a rule of thumb for commercial software applications
:     is that after three major releases (i.e., 1.0, 2.0, 3.0), you
:     rewrite the application from scratch."

I can't think of many examples. In the case of OS/2, it was after one
major release that it was rewritten. Word Perfect is on version 6 without
a major rewrite. Lots of other products are beyond three major products.

So, an interesting hypothesis, but a dearth of supporting data. Yes of
course we know about Windows, but one example doth not a rule make!