From: dewar@cs.nyu.edu (Robert Dewar)
Subject: Re: What's the best language to start with
Date: 1996/08/10
Date: 1996-08-10T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Alexander says

"It means that this "programmer" is not programmer indeed, but software
engineer. The combination of "careful and well written implementations" and
"completely absurd algorithms" is characteristic for substantional part of
the growing mass of these brave software engineers.
"

Well I can't easily tell if this is just a language problem (maybe the
terms in Russian have different implications), or out and out flame bait.
Probably the latter -- but in any case it is certain that there is no
distinction of this kind in the terms as normally used here. You can
find incompetent and competent people under all labels!