From: dewar@cs.nyu.edu (Robert Dewar)
Subject: Re: Ada and C++ asserts.
Date: 1996/07/16
Date: 1996-07-16T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Nasser says

"I think this is not natural behaviour, but since it is
documented like this, one can't argue with it.

Nasser"

Actually I think that in the C environment it is entirely appropriate
behavior, because it means that you have a core image around that you
can debug. In fact it is quite reasonable that an Ada compiler should
call abort on an unhandled exception. GNAT does not, but it probably
should, or at least it should have an option to do so. After all you
can always put a when others at the outer level if you want to handle
such an exception -- an unhandled exception is really a program bug,
and calling abort is perfectly reasonable.

I really don't see why you would distinguish an assertion failure
from a segmentation fault. Basically the latter is a failure of
a hardware/OS assertion that addresses should be in range.