From: dewar@cs.nyu.edu (Robert Dewar)
Subject: Re: ez2load helping Ada
Date: 1996/07/13
Date: 1996-07-13T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Tore said

": some of the nice environment stuff from EZ2LOAD. (This is one of the
: reasons I am personally switching to Ada 95).
-----------------------------------------^

I assume you don't mean that you switched to Ada 95 because of the
environment in EZ2LOAD, which leave me with the interpretation that
it is a typo and that you are switching to Win95. Is that correct?
I'm hoping I'm too fast to jump to conclusions, but if that interpretation
was correct, what will then happen with the OS/2 version of gnat? Does it
mean that somebody else will have to make the OS/2 port if we want
something newer than 3.05 (thanks for that version by the way)?"

What a funny typo, yes, of course I meant Windows95 in my quote above,
not Ada 95 (which I switched to quite a while ago :-)

It is not the environment of EZ2LOAD per se that makes me switch (I
certainly have no personal interest in using that environment, which
is really intended for beginners, and very nicely meets that requirement).
It is more the gneral issue of what is likely to become the increasing
importance of the Win95 and NT vesions of GNAT. (Also I must say that
part of the reason I switched was I just got a Tecra 720CDT, and I
decided to use the preinstalled sofware, rather than spending several
days fiddling (and posisbly) failing to install OS/2 right (I never
did get the network up on my OS/2 machine, but it was up in minutes
on the Tecra).

As to the future of the OS/2 port, I have already answered this in a
separate post.