From: dewar@cs.nyu.edu (Robert Dewar)
Subject: Re: Subunits of packages vs. subunits of subprograms
Date: 1996/07/11
Date: 1996-07-11T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

David Morton said

"Basically, it seems now that the separate keyword's function is to break
down a lenthy file into many small ones, mainly for easier reading, not
to speed up developement or help the concept of separate compilation.

I think I understand the reasons for it being this way, but although
it does meet the letter of the RM, it does seem to violate the spirit
of separate compilation.  Oh well, it's *not* that big a deal..."

You realize of course that subunits are, in many instances, obsoleted by
the notion of child units. Most, but not all, uses of subunits in Ada 83
are more comfortably replaced by the use of child units in Ada 95.
So to a certain extent subunits are being provided for backwards
compatibility.