From: dewar@cs.nyu.edu (Robert Dewar)
Subject: Re: seperate keyword and seperate compilation with Gnat?
Date: 1996/07/08
Date: 1996-07-08T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

John Herro said

  When generating code for the parent, the compiler has to include the
  enumeration identifier names in the object code because the separate
  procedure might use CLA_Message_Type'Image or CLA_Message_Type'Value.  In
  this case, Janus/Ada has a pragma for the user to tell the compiler that
  the program will *not* use 'Image or 'Value for a particular enumeration
  type.

GNAT has this pragma, since it is defined in Ada 95, it is called
Discard_Names.

  Permit me to offer a suggestion, even though I have to admit that I
  don't have the Gnat compiler.  (I'm paying America Online 5 cents a minute
  for access, and have no idea what it would cost me to download ez2load - I
  know, I should get a *real* ISP!)  How about a pragma or compiler switch
  to tell Gnat that the whole program won't use tasking?  Then it could
  generate efficient code for the parent before the subunit is written, and
  wouldn't have to recompile the parent when the subunit changes.

GNAT has this pragma, since it is defined in Ada 95, it is called
Restrictions, and can restrict tasking and many other things. But
that only partially solves the subunit problem (it solves the tasking
case, which is one of many similar problems, in the case of non-tasking
programs only).