From: dewar@cs.nyu.edu (Robert Dewar)
Subject: Re: Gdb gets confused
Date: 1996/06/22
Date: 1996-06-22T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Michael said

"We have been using the Ada aware version of GDB (version
4.15.1.gnat.1.10) which usually works great, except that sometimes
when it hits a break it gets confused about what function it is in.
It correctly identifies the line number and file of the break, but it
thinks that it is in a different function from the same file.  When it
does this it is a pain.  We can't see the local variables or
arguments, and it can't even step correctly."

What optimization level are you using? Code merging and inlining in higher
optimization levels can sometimes cause this. Some standard debugging
formats are simply not expressive enough to represent the effects of such
optimizations. If you are seeing this in -O0 mode, it certainly
represents a bug. I assume you have reported this to report@gnat.com?
The folks at ACT who know about GDB don't read CLA!