From: dewar@cs.nyu.edu (Robert Dewar)
Subject: Re: Q: memory management
Date: 1996/06/15
Date: 1996-06-15T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Hannes asks

"I'm new to Ada and have a question on memory management. Is
there a function like malloc in Ada ? I want just a pointer
to a certain amount of raw storage.

I think "new Storage_Array (n)" will give me a little bit too
much storage. The array bounds need some space."

It really would be better to say what problem you are trying to solve,
than to ask for help for what seems a somewhat dubious solution (it
sounds as though you are thinking at too low a level). Anyway you
can probably do what you want by defininig an access type whose
designated type is a constrained array of the size you want and
allocating one of those (bounds probably are not needed in this
case).

But why not tell us what you are really trying to do?