From: dewar@cs.nyu.edu (Robert Dewar)
Subject: Re: Getting a single key stroke
Date: 1996/05/05
Date: 1996-05-05T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Joh Herro said

"     I don't think it's possible to get a single keystroke in a "somewhat
portable" manner in Ada 83.  Even in Ada 95, which has a "portable"
routine to do that, there are no guarantees that the routine will work on
all systems!"

Well there are no guarantees because there are sysmtes on which getting
a single keystroke is impossible or is a meaningless concept, but you
can assume that all Ada 95 compilers will support this in appropriate
environments. During its development, some versions of GNAT did not
support this (indeed some versions of GNAT did not, and some still do
not) support tasking, but as the technology develops, and implementations
mature, I think you will be able to count on Get_Immediate as solidly
as you can count on any other feature of the language.