From: dewar@cs.nyu.edu (Robert Dewar)
Subject: Re: GNAT 3.01 Source For OS/2
Date: 1996/05/05
Date: 1996-05-05T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

As far as I can tell (Joe's ramblings are a little hard to interpret, and
generally we can only process bug reports sent to report@gnat.com as has
often been mentioned here), there are no functionality bugs that Joe
refers to that are not already fixed in GNAT 3.04, which is prerelease
status now.

(the prerelease looks good so far from preliminary reports, so the 3.04
release should occur at the end of this coming week if all continues
to go smoothly in the testing process).

In particular we some time ago found an approach to the actual subtypes
problem that fixes the problems without the compilation time hit (although
none of our users ever saw anything as extreme as the case that Joe refers
to -- but did not submit as a bug report).

Incidentally, we certainly understand that many people want to build from
source -- many of our users, both supported and unsupported, do so, and
have generally been quite successful in doing so (occaisionally a note to
report@gnat.com has been needed to sort out some confusion, but most of
our users have built from source by following our directions).

It *is* important to read the documentatoin and follow the directions.
I guess, but don't know, that Joe may have missed some elements of the
directions (he certainly missed the very obvious paragraph in the README
file that says where the old sources are).

Generally I am not the one to help with installation and build problems.
The folks at ACT who know those details don't bother to read comp.lang.ada
any more (actually it seems that more and more people in the Ada community
are deficing that CLA is not worth the trouble any more, which is a pity!)
Anyway, that's why it is important to always follow the documentation,
and send questions etc to report@gnat.com (assuming that you actually
want some assistance -- comp.lang.ada is and remains the more appropriate
place for letting off steam :-)