* Re: GNAT GARLIC implementation
@ 1996-05-02  0:00 ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 1996-05-02  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

"It is a seperate FSF product, the same as GNAT itself, but where you get it
from and how you build/port/use it I don't know."

This is a little misleading. FSF had and has nothing to do with GNAT and
Garlic. GNAT is currently maintained by ACT, but we assign the copyright
to Free Software Foundation -- a useful way of makingit clear that the
intention is that it remain under the GPL. Similarly, Garlic is a product
that has primarily been created in France that will be maintained by
ACT/Europe. Again, the copyright is being assigned to FSF to guarantee
continued free availability, but these are not FSF products in the
sense that GNU itself or GCC are FSF products.

* Re: GNAT GARLIC implementation
@ 1996-05-02  0:00 Simon Johnston
From: Simon Johnston @ 1996-05-02  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

--- Originally sent to gnatlist ---

> I would like to try porting the Ada 95 Distributed Systems Annex E, as
> implemented by GARLIC for GNAT, to Win NT and 95.

Good man! I could do with a working copy of this Annex to understand its
implication for projects I am working on.

> The GNAT library source code has many references to the GARLIC package
> inside System.RPC but GARLIC itself is not included in the source.

Nope, I believe it is a seperate project being done in Europe by Cyrille
Cromar? I don't know about the name exactly.

> No response yet from ACT concerning how to get a copy of GARLIC.
> Does GARLIC fall under the GNU licensing terms or is it
> a separate product?  In the latter case, will I still be
> able to place my port under the FSF copy-left domain?

It is a seperate FSF product, the same as GNAT itself, but where you get it
from and how you build/port/use it I don't know.

> I became interested in this because (as Scott Moody has pointed out)
> Ada distribution through automated remote call interfaces
> seems much simpler to use than CORBA and other network interfaces.

Firstly I think it would be simpler, and secondly I think it is a very
important addition to the language and the more people using it and
understanding its implications and possible problems the better.

> Right now, I can get two local or networked Windows Ada programs
> to talk to each other via sockets but I would rather use an abstraction
> like that described in Annex E.

Absolutely.

> Paul Pukite
> puk@maroon.tc.umn.edu

with StandardDisclaimer; use StandardDisclaimer;
package Sig is
--,-------------------------------------------------------------------------.
--|Simon K. Johnston - Development Engineer (C++/Ada95) |ICL Retail Systems |
--|-----------------------------------------------------|3/4 Willoughby Road|
--|Unix Mail: skj@acm.org                               |Bracknell          |
--|Telephone: +44 (0)1344 476320 Fax: +44 (0)1344 476302|Berkshire          |
--|Internal : 7261 6320   OP Mail: S.K.Johnston@BRA0801 |RG12 8TJ           |
--|WWW URL  : http://www.acm.org/~skj/                  |United Kingdom     |
--`-------------------------------------------------------------------------'
end Sig;

* Re: GNAT GARLIC implementation
@ 1996-05-02  0:00 ` Samuel Tardieu
From: Samuel Tardieu @ 1996-05-02  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: skj, distribution

>> The GNAT library source code has many references to the GARLIC
>> package inside System.RPC but GARLIC itself is not included in the
>> source.

Simon> Nope, I believe it is a seperate project being done in Europe
Simon> by Cyrille Cromar? I don't know about the name exactly.

His name is "Cyrille Comar", from ACT/ACT-Europe (ACT-Europe is
maintaining this implementation of the distributed systems annex).

>> No response yet from ACT concerning how to get a copy of
>> GARLIC. Does GARLIC fall under the GNU licensing terms or is it a
>> separate product?  In the latter case, will I still be able to
>> place my port under the FSF copy-left domain?

Simon> It is a seperate FSF product, the same as GNAT itself, but
Simon> where you get it from and how you build/port/use it I don't
Simon> know.

The distributed systems annex implementation is right now in
alpha-test stage. If you want more information about it or if you want
to be warned when the final product (or beta-test stage) is out,
please send a mail to

             <distribution@act-europe.gnat.com>

asking for more information.

The distributed systems annex will be released under the GPL and
maintained by ACT-Europe ; its sources will be free and will stay
free.

  Sam
--
"La cervelle des petits enfants, ca doit avoir comme un petit gout de noisette"
                                                       Charles Baudelaire